cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Has my Smart Hub 2 become faulty?

I've had BT Fibre + Smart Hub 2 since October and the first few months I've had the advertised speeds, however, from last week onwards my speeds have fallen off of a cliff and the range has been absolutely pathetic to the point it's barely reaching past 5-6 meters (only covers half the house) on both 2.4ghz and 5.0ghz channels, regardless of whether it's mobile devices, laptops or consoles.

Download speed is usually fine provided the devices are within range, but the upload speeds I've been getting are the following:

- Macbook get's 10mb/s upload speed when using wetransfer but will miraculously jump to 250mb/s during speedtests (traffic throttling?).

- Mobile devices will randomly disconnect or behave as if there's no connection despite being within 2-3 meters of the Smart Hub 2.

- PS5 is getting upload speeds between 3.4-9.9mb/s which mean online/PVP gaming is completely impossible, at best I'll experience a lot of lag, but most of the time I'll frequently get disconnected from matches.

- PS4 which is used for Netflix is getting 30-140kb/s (yes, kb/s, that's not a typo) despite being in the same room as the Smart Hub 2, every 1-3mins Netflix will skip backwards 15 seconds to let itself buffer.

This has started happening suddenly after 6 months with no issues and given I've tried all the recommended fixes, does this mean my Smart Hub 2 has developed a fault and needs to be replaced?

Also apologies if this reeks of "first world problems".

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Has my Smart Hub 2 become faulty?

Try a reset of the router, this can solve many problems. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

"given I've tried all the recommended fixes"
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

From your post all the problems seem wireless related so have you tried ethernet connections and if so is speed as expected?

If WiFi have you changed WiFi channels and WiFi modes to see it that helps. Have you checked WiFi signal using a WiFi analyser on your mobile to see what channels are in use near you?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

Tried all of them, even tried opening different ports, I originally thought it might be a Playstation Network issue but then realised it was across all devices
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If you factory reset hub by pressing recessed button on back and holding until lights flash and check speed using ethernet connection only and see if speeds are as expected

If still poor then phone CS 03301234150 and request replacement 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 7

Use wired not wireless connections with one or more devices to confirm that it’s a Wi-Fi issue which is more likely. I don’t recommend Powerlines but even they will probably perform better that wireless.

0 Ratings