cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Increasing frustrations with speed / uptime of network, looking for advice / options

Hi there,

I'm finding at the moment that in my largely tech-savvy household (We've got three desktop PCS, Mac All-in-one, three laptops, PS4, PS5 all connected), and we're having huge problems on our line with stream quality, download speed, and upload speed relative to modern software that we're working on / playing on. 

To put things into perspective (and to write it down, I suppose) when we got the line we were getting 30~65Mbps download speed (and this was.. ten, fifteen years ago?) and that obviously hasn't changed at all since, but the size of the software we're using has increased massively in this time to the point where it is getting increasingly frustrating to work on and game on the stuff we're using in the house... Where in the past a game might be 10 GB or 20 GB, it's now 100-150 GB and it's just not tenable to spend all night downloading things with the current costs for power and so on.

What can we do? We're really struggling to see the light here and BT, Trooli and other companies resolutely refuse to deploy FTTP in our area (despite being 3km from the BT Campus...) and the copper line won't support more - Are there any things we can do to speed this up or are we pretty much just screwed until they deem us worthy of having first world infrastructure? 

Apologies if this comes across as moderately shirty, I'm baffled by the unwillingness to upgrade sites and we've now been asking for this for half a decade or longer, only to be told "it'll be there when it's there", which.. is swiftly becoming "not good enough". 

Are others having similar issues or do people have solutions? I've considered just taking SSDs to work to use their fibre connection but that somehow seems dubiously ethical...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Increasing frustrations with speed / uptime of network, looking for advice / options

if Bt customer can you enter phone number if not use address and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Increasing frustrations with speed / uptime of network, looking for advice / options

Thomas_was_here_0-1685976877671.png

Here's what I was able to get, the BT specific one curiously enough didn't pick up our phone number but this is plenty of info to go on - Thanks for the quick reply!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

do you have digital voice as that would explain why number did not work

from dslchecker your connection speed is expected 80/72mb can you post hub stats to see what your connection is like

hub manager/advanced settings/technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Bottom line, you have got the maximum you sna get until Openreach or an AltNet consider your area commercially viable for FTTP.

As Openreach are looking at FTTP to about 95% FTTP coverage  by 2035 it is just a waiting game. It is possible an AltNet may be there first but you will have to search thet for yourself as forum terms mean we can't advise you on that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Everybody thinks that Openreach can just click their fingers and FTTP miraculously appears over the whole country simultaneously.

Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will a full fibre network.

0 Ratings