cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

High ping spikes and Packet Loss

image.png

Hello I’ve switched to BT for a few months now the first month was great but since then I’ve had so much problems most times of the day I’m getting high ping spikes jumping from 17ms - 250 to in the 1000ms range, and packet loss, 10-15% and it’s literally unbearable I can’t game at all dropping to around 4mb down, I’ve tried rebooting many times and nothing ever fixes it what is there I can do? Making me wanna switch internet providers again  as I’ve not had the best experience at all  

my current plan is 150mb download, 30mb upload

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: High ping spikes and Packet Loss

Have you read this thread: Ping spikes - BT Community ?

Are you symptoms the same?

Are you using the same firmware version in your hub?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your reply, Still the same getting packet loss again is was fine for like 30 minutes. And yes it’s the same firmware verison. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Are you using WiFi or ethernet? Do you also have another device you could run these tests on?

If the same thing occurs on the other devices you might want to try a connection directly to your ONT and bypass your SH2 to rule it out:

Just connect to it with an ethernet cable and create a PPPoE connection with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

It might be worth asking if you can try another SH2 but with older firmware (or even newer firmware) to see if that makes any difference.  Not sure whether BT/Openreach will do that,  but if an OR engineer has one on his van might be worth checking the firmware version and see.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I am WiFi and not that far from it, I have tried it on many devices same outcome, I have tried PPPoE connection on a gaming router which I am currently using and it’s the same outcome. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

That's not the same sadly as you are connected to your gaming router via WiFi. 

Connecting your laptop/desktop directly to the ONT and running the test will weed out any issues with WiFi and a possible misconfiguration somewhere on your router.

If it still happens when you are directly connected to the ONT, then the problem is BTs. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

What have BT said when you reported it as a fault?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

They said everything is fine on their end to try reboot the router, and power cycle the ONT.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Sounds fairly typical, anything to avoid them actually taking any action.

Have you checked for any WiFi interference, I use "WiFi Analyzer" on windows. It may highlight problems such as neighbours on the same channel, or external interference from another source etc. Worth a few minutes to run a check, especially if the problem is active - which I guess is most of the time.

0 Ratings