cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

How long for Openreach to update after fibre pulled in?

A couple of weeks ago, an Opentrench van turned up and much to our delight said he was pulling fibre in to the box in the courtyard where we live in the middle of nowhere. Hurrah!   It looked like an 8 way multicore termination box.

I had a chat before he left, he said it was now live, and we just needed to check the Openreach site and it should be ready to order, our chosen supplier would arrange the pull in of fibre for the last 20 metres to the houses around the box, happy days.

A few weeks have passed now and it still says "build planned 2026" on the Openreach site, how long does it usually take from build before they update the database?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: How long for Openreach to update after fibre pulled in?

I just checked on wholsale and get this, although I think FTTP on Demand is something other than what I am looking for.

rszemeti_0-1728256640410.png

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

You are correct in thinking that FTTPod is not native FTTP , unfortunately there is no way to predict how long after a CBT is provided that it’s signalled to ISP’s that the addresses aligned to that CBT are able to order FTTP , the fact the Openreach tech said it’s ’live’ you would imagine means it’s a short period of time but ultimately it’s like asking how long is a piece of string .
All you can do is periodically check the BTw DSL or ISP checkers , once as far as the DSL checker, once it shows WBC FTTP as available you should be able to order with an ISP , provided that ISP has its own connectivity to the headend equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Thanks, I shall try and remember to check each week.   I guess eventually the phrase "how long is a piece of string" will become "how long is a piece of fibre" 😉

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@rszemeti wrote:

Thanks, I shall try and remember to check each week.   I guess eventually the phrase "how long is a piece of string" will become "how long is a piece of fibre" 😉

That is an easy answer:- It is twice the distance from the centre to one end. 😉

Message 6 of 17

I've not been able to access the btwholsale site as they turn it off during the wee small hours, but on the normal Opentrench site it has chnaged from "Build planned before Dec 2026" to "Not Yet Available" ... is there any significance to that?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Afraid not. I know of a small village that had the CBTs, new poles and fibre starting to be installed by Openreach  from 2019 and these continued until 2022 but then stopped. It's still planned that the village will get it's Openreach Full Fibre installation completed but as you can see it's hard to say when it will be all completed and ready to accept orders.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Noted, the status on the btwholesale site has not chnaged either.   A lot of the village had infrastrure pulled in by another provider, Zoom, and they have had service for around a year,  so there is backhaul availabe I guess ... oh well, I'll keep checking! 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Zoom has absolutely nothing to do with BT or Openreach , ( apart from they can leech onto Openreach infrastructure via PIA ( physical infrastructure access ) , so the presence of that Alternative Network (and whatever you mean by  ‘backhaul’  )  is completely irrelevant as far as Openreach and by extension BT as concerned.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

I suspect the OP meant "alternative" when using "backhaul"

0 Ratings