cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

How to open FTTP ONT modem?

Go to solution

Morning all.

I'm currently trying to open my modem to fit a different cable. The modem feels as though it's sealed shut. Whilst I'm sure it's easy to do, I don't want to force anything and risk breaking something as I'm not 100% certain what to do. I live in a new build that's 2 and a half years old, and it came with the property. When searching online, and even BT's own website, I've found nothing on this exact type of modem, in terms of photos or guides.

Any help would be appreciated. Again, no doubt it'll be easy but knowing me I will end up breaking it.

Thank you

IMG_6879.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to open FTTP ONT modem?

Go to solution

Google images suggest that there is a small lip on the bottom of the smaller section that pulls forward, allowing the cover to open along the hinged top. Looks like that hides a screw securing the larger section

ONT.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

That’s an  ONT  cover ( box ) not the ONT itself ,  that  is behind the right hand cover inside which is secured with a screw ,  the side you can access is not screwed shut , simply lift the tab ( may be tight but you shouldn’t break it ) .

It seems from the image that  the property has some sort of Ethernet distribution patch panel, as the ONT is already connected to one of the two  Ethernet distribution ports , so the other ends of this panel will be presented on two other Ethernet sockets , probably one in the lounge and one in the main bedroom, so you could simply plug the router into which ever of these two Ethernet extensions is  ‘live’ .

If you want to connect the router directly to the ONT , lift the lid , remove the existing Ethernet patch lead to the Ethernet socket , and connect your router into the ONT  , given often the ONT is positioned in an out of the way location ( like in a cupboard ) having the router in the same location may not be ideal 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Excellent mate, thank you very much.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I've just given it a try and it doesn't work. The left side is sealed shut too. There are small circle-shaped bits (you can see them in your picture half way down on the left hand side) that are separate pieces of plastic to the main cover, do you think I need to do something with those?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Opening the ONT box ( left had side ) requires the same ‘force’ as something like removing a battery cover , so not so lose that it’s not secure but firm enough that it can’t simply fall open , it’s inconceivable that someone would glue it shut ( for example ).

As the image shows , the way yours is fitted ( it can be horizontal or vertical) it hinges from the top , it’s only when the left hand side cover is raised, the screw for the RHS is visible and you don’t need to be in the right hand side …..I suspect you are just being a little fearful of breaking the case ( I doubt you will ) ….and as stated the option to use the Ethernet patch panel seems the obvious thing to do , otherwise squeeze the bottom of the left hand side of the case in, at the same time as lifting the tab on the left hand side cover ….

These  ONT covers are not normally that tight of a fit , in fact if the screws fitting the ONT cover to the electrical pattress box behind , are too tight , the left hand cover often won’t even  close properly and hangs permanently open.

Once the left hand cover is opened , the side of the ONT ( behind the right hand side cover ) with the power lead , the off / on switch , LAN  and optical ports can be accessed without needing to open the right hand side cover .

0 Ratings