cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

I'm thinking of swapping to BT but the socket is snipped

Go to solution

Hello, I moved to a new house and am thinking of swapping to BT, the site confirms I can have 900mb broadband and are wanting to send me the hub but looking further I have found the cable to the master socket has been snipped, will it cost me to have this replaced? I'm swapping to save money so an upfront fee would change things. Anyone know how I should proceed? Do I need a new socket installed?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: I'm thinking of swapping to BT but the socket is snipped

Go to solution

You don't need a phone line to have full fibre broadband with BT, as openreach would install a specific modem that your router connects to with a network cable.

If you wanted a digital voice line the phone would connect into the router as well. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

So the disabled mastersocket in the hall is useless anyway? Surely the internet would run through that? Or do they install a new line for boradband? Could I have this new box installed downstairs in the living room beside this virgin socket?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Full fibre gets its own line that openreach install themselves. 

You would need to ask openreach to put it there when they attend to do the works. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Awesome, thanks for the replies. One more question tho, if the website is just letting me make an order and offering to post it asap, does that not mean that this service has already been installed? I'm super confused about the whoel thing tbh, the masterbox in the hall says Master Socket 5c, OpenReach MK4 on it, so it looks fairly new. Does that change anything?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

It takes a couple of weeks for it to be made active if you are transferring and in the mean time you will be given a date and time when the engineer will attend.

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

And do you know if this is all included in the package?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

When you sign up it tells you what is included before you confirm the order.

It should say FTTP rather than FTTC for full fibre. With full fibre the broadband connection goes straight to your house rather than the cabinet in the street.

If you have any questions it's better to place your order by giving them a call on 0800 800 150

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

if you are getting FTTP 900 then openreach will install an ONT (fibre modem) and hub connects using ethernet cable

ont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

BT still post the router, but the engineer will bring the ONT that the fibre connects into with them on their visit.  You may find that the engineers do some external prep before they even visit for the final install.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!