cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

I want to cancel, my internet is terrible.

Go to solution

This is a little long winded I apologise. This is my situation.

I’ve been with BT for to long the first 18 months were terrible very slow internet, connection dropping out all the time. I had engineers out regularly and was no better. After 18 months I went to cancel they asked me to stay and promised all the issues would be resolved, they haven’t. 
I recently looked in to speeds etc and it said I would get 28mb which having looked further it’s 28mbs which is 2.8 mb I was getting that 30 years ago !. My house is very Wi-Fi based Alex, smart plugs everywhere, 4 TV, Amazon sticks, android boxes, Gamming PC, Xbox, PlayStation you name. 
the fist 18 months I had the BT TV I didn’t request it the second but they are still charging me for it. I have had engineers out many time again and still no better. There was a web chat which now seems to have disappeared and all they kept says was call us but I don’t like talking on the phone and no one seems to care. I’m at the end of my tether now. I just want it fixing or cancelling as I’m not getting a service I’m paying for. I’m being charged for a service I never asked for. They have led me in false pretences. Just feel like cancelling my DD to make them listen and help me.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: I want to cancel, my internet is terrible.

Go to solution

@DMRose 

You are confusing MegaBits, with MegaBytes.

You would never have received 2MBs  (MegaBytes/s) 30 years ago. You would have got 2Mbs (MegaBits/s) if you were lucky, or even as low as 500Kbs on the original ADSL equipment.

As it is you now get 28Mbs which is about 2MBs  (MegaBytes/s)  which is considerably faster.

Check to see what is available to your house.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Please edit out your phone number before you post the result, but leave the exchange name and cabinet number showing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

@DMRose 

As the saying goes, Don't Do It!

Cancelling your DD won't make BT sit up and take notice, they'll just sell your debt on to a debt collection agency and your credit rating will suffer.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

My mistake it was 20 years ago and I was getting 2 Mbs so no faster in 20 years but you look at how tech has moved on. I get a faster connection through my phone.

I’ve had no internet most of the day my partner works from home all internet based it’s a nightmare.

I can’t watch TV or work any of my smarts hardware it’s a joke. 

im struggling to reply with no internet as my phone reception is not the best at home either

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

@DMRose 

But you are now getting 28Mbs and not 2Mbs, so things are much faster now.

If you can provide the information requested, then forum members may be able to assist.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

@DMRose 

The first thing to try is quiet line test to make sure silent

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

I understand that’s not the answer or the way forward but I’ve just had enough.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

I can’t currently get the IP address to work and I don’t have a landline phone.

my internet has been down most of the day and still is.

i currently can’t do much can’t watch tv and all my smart devices don’t work.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

My mistake again I get about 2MB now and used to get 2MB 20 years ago. 

0 Ratings