cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Intermittent fibre to hub speeds

My problems have been going on for over 10 weeks . My speeds  frequently do meet the greater than 700 Mbs

guaranteed for fibre 900, bt/ open reach have visited site with various degrees of capability. New ont fitted new bt hub fitted new ethernet cable fitted to no avail. Finally  after many attempts got transferred to senior engineer who spent two hours on the phone checking/discussing things whilst carrying out speed tests himself. Finally he detected the same problem that i reported weeks ago. Further visits have achieve nothing. I have spent many hours on the phone with people of different knowledge but to know avail. Final straw today visit planned by senior engineer never arrived, rang to enquire ... the job has been declined!!. This fault has been raised/cancelled not by me on many occasions . Hopefully someone reads this who can get this sorted. Btw i am a bt customer for over 50years and a broadband customer for over 23 years !!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Intermittent fibre to hub speeds

How low does your download speed go ? , any Openreach FTTP PON is a shared medium, you and upto 29 others on the network ( often it’s a much lower number sharing the bandwidth ) , but ultimately the members on the PON all share a download bandwidth of 2.4Gb , if there were 30 users and they  all simultaneously were downloading large files that’s ‘only’ about 80Mb each ( although it’s not quite that simple as that  ) but the point is , if you happen to be on a PON with a few intensive users ( downloaders ) the bandwidth available may dip below the minimum speed guarantee, although the bursting nature of data transmission and DBA ( dynamic bandwidth allocation ) means it shouldn’t be a big problem, hence asking how low the speed gets .

If this is the case ( congestion ) and you unfortunately have a few bandwidth hogs on your PON , there isn’t a lot that can be done about that , you can ask to released from any minimum term penalty free ,if this below minimum speed is observed frequently, however unless an alternative network is available, I’m not sure what that would achieve, a different provider  on same PON would have the same issue.

If it’s not just congestion ( and it may not be that ) ,  it’s difficult to see why that would only be apparent occasionally rather than all the time .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Further to iniltous reply

When people replace their TVs they are likely to go for a 4K Smart TV and stream rather than rely on an ariel.

So assuming 1 4k TV per household that's 25 Mbps x 30 which is 750Mbps  out of your 2.4GB gone at peak viewing times.

As FTTP is adopted you can see that over time everyone is going to end up at around 80Mbps at peak times.

Hence signing up for the fastest speeds will be increasingly poor value for money, unless Openreach upgrade the infrastructure again.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

There is hope as it appears the existing network Openreach is building can be upgraded to 25GB.

See Openreach and Nokia test the next generation of ‘Full Fibre’ broadband technology

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Yes, the current fibre can be upgraded to carry more. I would expect the first step to be change to symetrical upload download along with pons being upgraded to 10GB.

0 Ratings