cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Internal installation for fibre broadband

I currently have fibre to the cabinet but according to the BT site I could now get fibre to the home. This would have some distinct advantages because our current connection to the cabinet is aluminium wire, which is far from ideal for broadband! My concern (and very much that of my wife) is where Openreach will fit the fibre modem and whether this will be disruptive/unsightly.

Currently the aluminium conductor ends in a box in the outside wall (where the master socket once was), then there is a length of dropwire which enters the front of the house around the window frame in the sitting room. There is then a master socket on the wall in the window recess and a length of internet cable that runs from the master socket, around the room to the wifi hub which sits on the window sill at the opposite end of the room (the back of the house).

There are three single mains sockets in the room, each with a short multiway extension plugged into it--and all well-used! So there is no chance of the modem getting a dedicated mains socket.

I am trying to envisage what an engineer would be able to do. They could put the modem where the current master socket is, but that is a good 3 or 4 metres from the nearest mains socket. They could put it at the other end of the room (which is the back of the house)  where the current router is situated. If so it would be quite close to one of my multiway mains leads. If so, would they have to run fibre around inside the room?

Has anyone got any experience with this sort of 'older' house where there aren't multiple electrical sockets on every wall and a cupboard for routers, modems and the like.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Internal installation for fibre broadband

There are two units that need to be installed at your property - a Customer Service Point (CSP) and an Optical Network Terminator (ONT).  The CSP is usually installed externally and at ground level - this unit contans a splice point which joins together the external and internal grade fibre cables, as these have different characteristics.  The tools which is used to perform this splice can't safely be used up a ladder, hence the CSP being at ground level.

The preferred (i.e. easiest) installation is to have the CSP and ONT on opposite sides of the same external wall.  If your fibre cable comes in at the front of the house, and you want the ONT at the back, then there are two options: run external fibre around the outside of the house to reach the preferred point; or run internal cable along skirting boards inside the house.  Obviously the first option isn't viable if you're in a mid-terraced house.

The Openreach technician will discuss the options with you when they come to do the installation.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Internal installation for fibre broadband

OK thanks for the info.

0 Ratings