cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Is Fibre 2 Full Fibre?

Go to solution

I've seen a few posts about Fibre 2 installs suggesting that it is the full fibre optic cable package (BT now describes Fibre 2 as 'Full Fibre 2' as well). However when speaking to a BT customer service rep they said that Fibre 2 wasn't actually full fibre but was based on the old copper network. Can anyone clarify this? The reason I ask was that I had ordered Fibre 100 but was thinking I might change to Fibre 2 as it is cheaper and would give me to option to upgrade down the line if the optic cables were already in place. Cheers.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Is Fibre 2 Full Fibre?

Go to solution

Fibre 2 is FTTC

Full Fibre 2 is FTTP.

The max speed for both is 80/20.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

As above, it can be either. They key to what's actually being offered if the presence or absence of "Full" in the description. The price difference between Full Fibre 2 & Full Fibre 100 seems to be £2 pm.

With Full Fibre 2 to you will get 80/20Mb, with Fibre 2 that will rapidly diminish the further you are from the cabinet.

Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick replies folks. Much appreciated.

I still find the BT Broadband packages pages confusing as they seem to be calling all packages including the Fibre 1 (which I'm currently on) and even the slowest Fibre Essential @36MB as 'Full Fibre'. 

Perhaps its only when you complete the order they adjust the package down to standard fibre if you don't have the optic cable infrastructure in your area or am I missing something?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@Finsup Hope this might clarify:

If you are in an area where Openreach Full Fibre is available then any fibre tier product would use the full fibre infrastructure.

This is highlighted with the Full Fibre in the product name (example shown below is in an area where only Full Fibre is available to illustrate the different bandwidth tiers). 

Choosing any of the below would be delivered to the property via Full Fibre 

Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 13.17.15-min.png

Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks Guru. That is very helpful. If I understand you correctly I am only seeing the full fibre options as my postcode dictates that I would be plumbed into the new optic network no matter which speed I chose. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

If you are only seeing Full Fibre options then that means copper is no longer being sold. So yes, any package you opt for will be a new ONT installation. That will likely mean a compulsory move to Digital Voice if you have a landline, so bear that in mind also.

Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks rbz. I have to say you guys have all been very helpful to a newbie. Now that I understand my options I'm inclined to downgrade the Fibre 100 package I ordered yesterday to the Fibre 2 as it may be enough for our household (providing BT allow me to change the order at this stage that is).

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Changjng the order now would push your install back by at least a week. Better leave it until installed and then downgrade within 14 days as that would happen withinin 24hrs.

Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks pippincp. That’s a good tip. Appreciate your help on this.

0 Ratings