cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Is my cable damaged ?

I've ordered fibre broadband. Openreach have done the digging and installed the fibre under my lawn. Indoor installation is scheduled for late June. About 4 inches along the cable from where it comes out from the ground, there is a kink, see photos. Is this a problem ? - should I contact BT about it ? I will be timing the cesae of my existing (Virgin) service  to co-incide, and I don't want to be without service ! (I put some paper behind for the photos)  PXL_20220521_090930564 r.jpgPXL_20220521_091006604-r.jpgPXL_20220521_091839194 r.jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Is my cable damaged ?

It could well be damaged as fibre optic cables shouldn't be bent like that - they have a minimum bend radius.  I would recommend you move back the date for your Virgin cease as your install could be delayed for any number of reasons including replacing this fibre cable.  Much safer to cease your existing connection once the new one is up and running.

Message 3 of 11

Hi brookheather, yes what you say makes sense, and I will probably just do as you suggest. But as they had to dig up the pavement to install fibre in my street, my order has already been delayed by several months, meaning I'm several months out of contract with Virgin, and therefore paying them the full whack £55 pm .... so I was hoping to cease that as soon as I could !  

Do you know - if the cable is damaged, is it possible to splice so close to the ground, or will they need to dig up the pavement again ? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

For what it's worth I wouldn't accept it. It could well be that the fibre is OK at the moment but going by the bottom photo it's only a matter of time before the wind causes sufficient movement and damages it,  if that happens and you go on to Digital Voice then you will lose your phone service as well as your broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

As the fibre cable would be stripped and cut to the necessary length pre spilcing  it may be that the affected section may be cut off. What is the length of the  cable coiled up awaiting splicing?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

The bend radius is fine , it’s if the fibre inside the outer sheath has been damaged ( broken ) where the kink is ,  if it is broken then it could affect service , the fibre itself  is inbetween two strength members , it’s those that are kinked or snapped ,  and giving the cable that shape…, it’s also an issue why it’s four inches short of the wall , any cover etc fixed to the wall will leave some cable exposed, unless whoever installed the cable expects the installation engineer to place the last section underground .
It’s possible ( but not likely ) that whoever pulled the cable in , applied a visible light source at the connectorised end of the cable and visually checked that light was OK, but it’s either a case of getting service in ( chances are it’s fine) or insisting that whoever installed it , replaces it even if it’s actually OK and look worse than it is.
If the cable is damaged, it can’t be repaired where the kink is, it would have to be replaced, if it’s  in a duct it wouldn’t be a big issue, but is it direct in the ground ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Does that come up between the two bricks or is it in Duct 56 and or that Comscope Sub Duct?

That ROC Cable is s***. Personally I wouldn’t risk using that and replace it.

I’ve kept myself a few drums of the good FTTP Cable Openreach used to use for when I eventually get FTTP where I live.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi, Thanks, it's in a duct along the pavement, and inside a green plastic pipe (about the size of a garden hospipe) under the garden from pavement.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Hi, that kink is only a few inches from where it comes out of the ground, so I don't think the box would be that low (no-where for it down there anyway. There's several metres of cable left out of the ground (my expectation is that it wouldgo on my house wall a little way further along, on the brickwork about 3 metres away)

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

The fibre optic cable may be okay - but the exposed part of the cable, from where it comes up out of the ground needs protecting.

Could you remove some of the mortar between the paviors so that the cable could carry on between the bricks? That with suitable capping should protect the cable.

If you don't wish to attempt this, then unless the installing engineer sorts things out such that the cable is protected I would refuse/reject the installation, although I well understand your desire to stop VM!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings