cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Large difference between Data Rate and Max Data Rate

Hi,

I have 80Mb Fibre broadband.  When I first moved into my house the power was taken down several times due to renovations work and I think this caused my IP Profile to rate limit my line due to multiple 'drops' of the connection.

Focusing on down stream speeds, when I look at my BT Home Hub, I see if have a Maximum Data Rate of 57 Mb, however my Data Rate is at 44 Mb.  If I look at the BTW Performance Tester I see my IP Profile is set to 42.58Mb.

My DSL uptime is over 14 days, should my IP Profile be updating?

BT Hub.JPGBTW IP Profile.JPG

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Large difference between Data Rate and Max Data Rate

If you had multiple disconnections as your home was renovated then it looks like that has resulted in DLM taking action to try and stabilise your line resulting in a banded profile - increased noise margin and reduced speed

unlike adsl it takes longer for DLM to start to release the banding and just you to maintain a stable connection

enter your phone number and post results

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

It has been several months since my power interruptions.  Results attached, not sure if it's because I'm getting speeds near the low end but within range, but feels like I should be able to be getting in the 50's...

Wholesale checker.JPG  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Your connection the is 14 days is that due to hub dropping connection or manual reset?  From other posts it usually takes longer for banding to release

from checker your connection speed is still within your expected range and above handback so difficult to get BT to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I believe the last reset was due to a power cut in the local area.  Was worried that might be the case, i.e. within acceptable range (although potentially not the optimal speed).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The line is capped/banded at 44Mb by the DLM but that's not the main reason for the inflated maximum data rate.

The noise margin suggests the line would only sync a little above the current cap, probably around 45Mb.

Interleaving is almost certainly applied to the line which exaggerates the maximum data rate. 

It's normal.

The Interleaving suggests you're connected to an ECI cabinet.

In short, the line wouldn't sync anywhere near the maximum data rate reported, even if it wasn't capped.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@j0hn83  No suggestion about it, the OP is connected to an ECI cab.

0 Ratings