cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Maximum data rate?

Go to solution

Hi all,

What does the "Maximum data rate" actually mean? Is it the max theoretical speed?

Data rate:10.137 Mbps / 35.126 Mbps
Maximum data rate:10.472 Mbps / 47.358 Mbps

Certainly my connection has never been as fast as the maximum data rate.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Maximum data rate?

Go to solution

Without the rest of the stats it's theoretical.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, good to know!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I'm wondering the same thing, except my Max download Data rate is around 2 Mb/s higher that the "data rate".

Can any of the techy guys help me make sense of this?

Salem874_0-1649612919276.png

BT Halo 3+ (FTTC) | BT Digital Voice | BT Sport (on Sky Q) | Stretham, Ely
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Nothing wrong with that. The max data rate would only ever be reached, if every frequency slot was able to carry all data bits. In practice, there will always be some degradation due to crosstalk from other circuits. A compromise has to be made to ensure that errors are not introduced.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Salem874 

You appear to be on fibre 1 with max 55mb connection speed otherwise with G.INP active you may actually have managed a  connection speed above the attainable if your noise margin dropped to 3db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hm...I'm signed up to Halo 3+ actually.

So I guess the factors here is my noise margin is too high, and/or G.INP not being used?

Makes sense, I just wondered why the higher difference than before (pre-Christmas 2020 - had to reconnect FTTC after flood to our property). Connection speed did increase from 33 Mb/s when we reconnected in January (which itself was lower than we were previously able to max out on pre-flood) but slowly increased as time went on.

I guess one of the other reasons I'm quering is that we seem to end up with near zero bandwidth available for downloads when data is being uploaded (FTP) unless I set a max speed on my FTP client. Multiple devices can easily "share" download bandwidth but then minute one does uploading (ie dedicated upload via FTP) then all other traffic grinds to a halt.

BT Halo 3+ (FTTC) | BT Digital Voice | BT Sport (on Sky Q) | Stretham, Ely
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

With your noise margin at 3.6db so  you do have G.INP active otherwise noise margin would be about 6db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.