cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Neighbours can get FTTP but Openreach fibre checker says my address unavailable

Hi all - hoping for some advice please.

I'm due to move into a new property soon, as a tenant, and have contacted my current internet supplier to get the ball rolling in moving my service to the new property.

Unfortunately, my current supplier, Plusnet have said they can't move my current service (unlimited fibre extra) and have said they can only offer very basic internet, with speeds of <10mb.

I've checked all the other property numbers in the street on OpenReach's fibre checker and they all have FTTP available, all except the property I'll move to - I get a 'we're sorry, our fibre products aren't available for you yet message'.

I spoke to BT about this, as I'd prefer to move to BT and was told that records can be missed/incorrect on Openreach's database. I've also spoken to the letting agent, and they've said that the landlord (currently living in the property), has never upgraded the line, as they've never needed to (but have given the ok to have fibre installed if it's possible).

,I'm curious if anyone has been in a similar situation, and if so, if you had success in getting the records updated at all, and how you did this? I'm hoping it's just a case of Openreach's database needing updating and having an engineer come out to get us up and running.

I can't seem to find any way to get through to a human being at Openreach, and BT's only advice was to submit the contact form on thr Openreach website, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Neighbours can get FTTP but Openreach fibre checker says my address unavailable

It is possible thae the Landlord currently at the property doesn't have a BT service (possibily SKY) so there is no routing info available.

Try inputting the postcode HERE.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Re: Neighbours can get FTTP but Openreach fibre checker says my address unavailable

Hi @pippincp - thanks for your message.

The link you've shared is the one I've used to check the property (as well as all of the other houses in the street) and all property numbers say that ultrafast full fibre is available. All except the house number I'm due to move to - I get the message "we're sorry, our fibre products aren't available for you yet".

According to the letting agent, the landlord currently has basic Internet with John Lewis.

I've seen on another thread somewhere that ordering a new service with BT can prompt the records to update, I wonder if that may be worth a go. Unfortunately the only broadband service I'm offered with BT at the moment though is with a speed of 3-7mb, which I'll struggle with working from home.

As all of the other houses in the street can get FTTP, I'm hoping that means I can too, but i'm not sure how to get that ball rolling. Had hoped to speak to Openreach (or someone at BT who could maybe dig a bit deeper and get us up and running with fibre) but sadly no luck.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Post the returns from this wholesale checker for the address that cannot get FTTP and also for the immediate neighbours either side of the property in question ( if it  has neighbouring property either side ) also indicate the proximity ( how far apart , same side of road etc )

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It’s likely that the property you are moving to and the neighbours property on at least one side would be  served from the same CBT , so if ( for example ) a street where even numbers were on one side , and the property in question was No.6 , and FTTP not available, but No.4 and No.8 FTTP was , it would suggest a data error…obviously if No6 couldn’t get it and No5 and No7 could , as they  were on the other side of the street , it wouldn’t be that unusual for them to be able to get FTTP and No.6 couldn’t …it’s necessary to know how the property’s relate to each other 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Hi @iniltous - thanks for the reply.

This is the result of wholesale checker for the address I'm due to move to:

BB checker2.jpg

And this is the result for the immediate neighbour (it's an end of terrace house) so just the 1 immediate neighbour:

BB checker.jpg

After getting in touch with the letting agent, they've let me know that the property is currently being lived in by the landlord, and apparently they've never chosen to upgrade to fibre, as were happy on the ADSL service they still have.

I'm hoping that as every single other property in the same street has FTTP, that I can get it too - but because the Openreach fibre checker website says it's unavailable in my area, I can't place an order for it... Wondering if it's something that can be updated by Openreach, but I can't find anyway to contact them. A bit stuck!

Edit to say: I've filled in the form on the openreach website a few days ago, but received a reply to say the wrong department had been contacted with no info on the right one or how to reach them. Had hoped to call OR but doesn't look like they have a number.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Openreach will not help as you are not an openreach customer. As you are a Plusnet customer I would get them to raise an ORDI with openreach and get your address checked and update services available.  Assuming there is an error once corrected you should then be able to place order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Its not really a case of the existing occupant being happy with ADSL so no ‘upgrade’ necessary, the area is surveyed and all appropriate property’s are included in the plan, it’s only as people ask to upgrade or want a new service that the FTTP network takes over from the copper pair network  , so it doesn’t matter if the occupant says they will never take FTTP , the network is provided to the outside of the property anyway.

Is this property a standard single dwelling ( SDU) as opposed to a MDU ( multiple dwelling unit ) ….for example, if a ( large ) house is converted into several flats/apartments and the existing phone/ broadband arrangements are supplied from a common point inside ( so basically , if served from a telegraph pole , instead of having multiple dropwires from the pole , one to each flat , there is a common multi pair cable that goes to a common utility area and from there , each individual flat has internal wiring , then that MDU could be excluded from the FTTP rollout , as permissions would be needed from the MDU owner ( not just the individual flat occupant ) and the internal  cable run through the property potentially over several floors , could prove to be impossible or extremely complicated, so because of this added complexity MDU could be excluded from the initial rollout.

If it’s a standard single dwelling unit ( an ordinary house ) then obviously this isn’t going to be an issue.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Was this ever rectified. 

I am in the same position. Everyone in the cul-de-sac has fttp but I can't order it. It's mental. And openreach can't be spoken too and BT staff are no longer trained in these issues. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@mbroderick1 

are you an existing BT broadband customer.  if so try phoning FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if the can help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

No not a current customer. I was fttp until I moved home and BT said they couldn't provide it so they cancelled free of charge now I learn everyone has it except this house.number so there's been a mess up on openreaches system

0 Ratings