cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Neighbours get faster speeds

Go to solution

When I first moved in to my current property I was on Superfast Fibre and got around 70mbps.

This was fine for a few years and I then stupidly downgraded to Fiber 1 one year to save money and regretted it - unfortunately from that point on the max I am offered now is about 35mbps.

Openreach say the property is capable of 77mps which I know because I have this speed before, but BT have seemingly removed this option for me and can't explain why.

All the homes on my estate can all get Fibre 2 when I check on the BT website, it's only mine which is not offered that speed. There are only about 18 houses.

We are the last house on this estate.

To the left of my property is a large open space and then a newer estate which was built more recently, all of these can only get Fiber 1 like me.

BT and open reach are no help in helping me understand why this has changed. 

Is this possibly due to congestion? Or will they have dug up a cable and removed that feature? We have had a lot of work outside our house by Gigaclere over the last 3 years..is it possible they did something?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Neighbours get faster speeds

Go to solution

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal    this does not work with digital voice

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks - 

No issues  with equipment or phone.

Wholesale report says VDSL High is 76mbps - so it suggests the line is capable?

Just to clarify - I am getting the speeds advertised on my package (Fibre 1) the issue is I am no-longer offered Fibre 2 when I look to upgrade which is due very soon and this is the max speed package I can get now with BT, even though I was once on Fibre 2 they tell me it's no longer possible.

shot.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

According to dslchecker your current speed is 44 down and 14.3 mb up. The 14mb upspeed suggests fibre 2 as max for fibre 1 is 10mb.  Also shows possible speed range 76/55mb

Really need you to post hub stats to see your connection information. Did you check your ,one for noise?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Looking at the checker result, you are already on fibre 2 as can be seen from an observed upload speed of 14.36M.

However, your downstream speed  has been banded by DLM to 44M due to instability.

Have you been constantly rebooting your hub in an effort to get a higher speed?

Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I am on Fibre 1 - that's my contract for the last few years.

I was last on Fibre 2 back in 2019 or 2020 I think.

I rarely power cycle or reset the hub. Current uptime is 20 days.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Is this what you mean?

Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:On

Noise margin:6.2 / 8.9
Line attenuation:5.6 / 18.5
Signal attenuation:5.5 / 17.6

DSL uptime:20 days,02 Hours16 Mins51 Secs

Data rate:14.363 Mbps / 43.993 Mbps
Maximum data rate:14.443 Mbps / 62.287 Mbps

The clear line test is OK, I don't hear anything.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Your low speed is due to DLM, not your package. If it was the package, you would be getting 55M.

Can you post the hub stats as requested by @imjolly please

Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Posts crossed.

That confirms that you are both on fibre2 and that DLM has banded your line at some point. Is there any noise on your line?

Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Here are the full stats, thanks for the help.

Screenshot-2023-07-31-at-19.15.06.jpg

0 Ratings