cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

New BT Smart Hub 2 on it's way..

Go to solution

Hi - I have received an email advising my new BT Smart Hub 2 is being sent out to me to replace my existing BT Smart Hub 2!?!

I didn't order this and wonder if anyone has had the same experience or can shed any light on this just randomly being sent out..? 

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New BT Smart Hub 2 on it's way..

Go to solution

Yes, many have experienced it and many more will as BT prepares to swith phone services to digital voice. The SH2 acts as a base station for the phones.

Openreach are withdrawing the copper phone service area by area the last will be in 2025 at the latest.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I've had a text today to say they are sending out a new SH2 which I've not asked for. I also received an email a week ago saying they were moving me over to DV, so I guess related to that.

I use my own ASUS router so I assume because they cannot detect the SH2 (needed for DV) they think they need to send me a new one. The one I had when I had FTTP installed in sitting in the draw.

They do seem to like wasting money by sending  out un-needed equipment.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@juiceof2limeswrote:

They do seem to like wasting money by sending  out un-needed equipment.

It really depends how you got the original Smart Hub 2, it's possible for advisors to raise orders the wrong way, they still get delivered but are not correctly attached to the broadband, which then confuses the system.

You'll need a Smart Hub 2 to make/receive calls on Digital Voice, if you don't use the phone then you have the option of removing it and going broadband only.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Richie - that's interesting.

I haven't used my landline in months so removing the rental and usage would be sensible, however I thought that option was not available and BT billed phone line rental as a default?

Your opinion would be useful.

Thanks

Adam

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Broadband is now available without telephony if required. Don't confuse the line rental component of your package with telephony capability. The saving is a max of £5/m.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Liquorice

Thanks for your reply.

Can you expand on "Don't confuse the line rental component of your package with telephony capability" ...

Thanks

Adam

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

The saving is a max of £5/m.

The saving is the cost of the calling plan being removed at the time, some people pay £0 for PAYG others pay around £16 for unlimited minutes.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@adamdavey10wrote:

Can you expand on "Don't confuse the line rental component of your package with telephony capability" ...

When or if you move to broadband only, you no longer have the ability to make/receive calls, which means you no longer need a calling plan, that is where you make the saving from.
The broadband is still delivered the same way, down the line which attracts line rental charges as it always has.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

OK, appreciate the follow up.

Cheers

Adam

0 Ratings