cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New Customer - Few questions regarding third party routers

Go to solution

Hi there I am due to have Full Fibre 900mbps fitted on the 16th.

Currently with VM and use there hub in router only mode with a Asus RT-AX88U router. 

Only ever had VM so new to how FF works and the BT hub. 

Is it possible to do the same with the smarthub and still use my current router and how do I go about setting it up if you can, Presume the engineer won’t do this for me 

TYVM in advance 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Customer - Few questions regarding third party routers

Go to solution

provided you are not getting digital voice then you can connect your asus router WAN direct to the ONT and use PPPoE with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password just BT  no need to use SH2 unless you get DV

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Unless you wish to use the BT voice service (Digital Voice) there is no need to use the BT hub at all. The fibre ONT is the modem and your Asus will just connect to it as you do now. If you want to use the voice service it is more complicated as the BT hub must be used.

Just need to configure the generic PPPoE details of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thx no I am just having FTTP fitted no phone line.

So I can ditch the BT hub and factory reset my router then set it up as a PPPoE connection and just re enter my wireless connections as they are now.

Take it I am ok running Merlin firmware on it

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Dazza1 wrote:

Unless you opted for no voice service, FTTP comes with DV. But no matter if you don't use it.

So II can ditch the BT hub and factory reset my router then set it up as a PPPoE connection and just re enter my wireless connections as they are now.

Yep, but don't throw it away, it is only loaned to you and BT will want it back if you leave.

BT won't know or care what firmware you are using.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@Dazza1wrote:

Unless you opted for no voice service, FTTP comes with DV. But no matter if you don't use it.

So II can ditch the BT hub and factory reset my router then set it up as a PPPoE connection and just re enter my wireless connections as they are now.

Yep

BT won't know or care what firmware you are using.

Thank you yh defo no digital voice it’s just broadband only at £40.99pm 

0 Ratings