cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

New FTTP, details of equipment needed in home please?

Hi folks.

Just had an engineer come to sort my fibre 100 out. I have FTTC but find that I can't keep my copper line (FTTC). So needs new box, router, and mains point. Having spent loads of time and effort hiding the old twisted pair wires under the floor and behind skirting boards,  I'm not going to tolerate wires stapled on top of the skirting again. I assume they will have to trench in a fibre cable from the trunk in the street to my house. If they would go round the back of the house, I have a conduit thru the wall already, and could accomodate it there, but they want to just take shortest route and come in via the front, where the current copper wires come in. 

So, I cancelled the order. I could keep my existing (GFast ) setup but at nearly £80 a month for 100mb?! No way. And I don't want a landline for calls. 

So my question is- anyone tell me and/or point me towards details and sizes of the new boxes and size of the new cables needed to connect them? There is a slim possibility that I have one location where I might just be able to hide the cables depending on the sizes thereof. That would still leave the problem of the fibrebox to router cable. 

I can get a 100mb service for £30 a month, but that's the new FTTP and they won't price match to leave me on the current setup 'as it's old tech and obsolete', but it is in place, reliable and they wouldn't change it of their own accord anyway, only on my ordering an upgrade. 

Thoughts and comments on the above, especially welcome from engineers if we have any on here, most welcome, with details as above of cables and boxes please. Cheers'n'beers!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: New FTTP, details of equipment needed in home please?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

If the existing Copper Service is Direct in Ground then they would have to dig to get the new Cable in.

As part of the Standard Installation they follow the existing Route or as close to it as possible.

Theres nothing to stop you digging the hole/trench though.

In regards to the inside out cable that runs from the CSP to ONT the outer sheathing is 5mm.

That has to be striped down to the internal micron core layer though once it enters the property and that’s 3mm. Last time I checked it could only stapled to skirting boards and not cleated. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

That's a bit of the detail I was looking for, thank you. I will not have cables on my skirting boards as I went to a lot of effort to hide the last ones. I can easily hide the twisted pair of copper, and I'm sure the 3 or 5mm will also go in the same space if I want ti to. just needing an extra hole near where the ONT and router would be put. Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

The inside out cable that @36ULW refers to has to be connected first to the ONT and then fed out to the CSP.  If you want it to go behind skirting or under floors it's likely that you will need to provide some trunking/conduit and draw string to allow the installer to pull it through.

For my install I did this from an internal cupboard, under the floor to a rear wall where the fibre entered, and the technician was more than happy to use this.

0 Ratings