cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

New house, where should the ethernet ports go?

Go to solution

Hello

I'm moving ot a new build property next month, the FTTP  box will be in the lounge 😞 I've asked the builder to put a single ethernet port next to the Openreach box and a 4 port box in the study upstairs, 3 additional ethernet ports will be dotted around the house all linking to the 4 port in the study.  The builder says I have to have the 4 port in the lounge for the router to be plugged into and the internet won't work otherwise is that correct?  I know I may need the router in the lounge but surely only need 1 port by the Openreach box.  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: New house, where should the ethernet ports go?

Go to solution

You can do what you have suggested as long as you are aware that the Openreach modem will need to plugged into the Ethernet port that is next to it and that Ethernet port will need to be connected to the four port socket in the study.

You will then need to connect your Smarthub into the socket that came from the Openreach modem. This is your "master" broadband connection.

The other three ports of the four port socket will need to feed one port to each of the remaining rooms. 

You would then be able to plug an Ethernet into one of the Smarthub's ports and then into one of the remaining ports on the four port socket. This will then allow the room that that port is connected to by the internal Ethernet cable to function. You then connect the next one in a similar manner.

This will however only work if your builder has or will run the internal Ethernet cable in the correct way. ie Ethernet socket next to the Openreach modem and terminated at socket terminal 1 at the fourway in the study.

Ethernet socket in room one run to study and terminated at four way socket terminal 2.

Ethernet socket in room two run to study and terminated at fourway terminal 3.

Ethernet socket in room three run to study and terminated at fourway terminal 4.   

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Like this

patchpanel2.jpg

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you.
0 Ratings