cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Newly installed Openreach ONT or broadband router using a lot of electricity?!

Hi all,

We had FFTP installed at the end of last month, went away for a week, returned home to see  on our smart meter display that after a couple of days our daily energy usage had gone up by £1 a day (if only I knew the exact kWh).

Nothing else has changed. We have no new devices or appliances other than the new router also provided.

So the Q is - could the new Openreach ONT (white box on the wall that is powered where the cable comes into the property) be using that additional power? Or the new router?

Our energy provider has just confirmed to me that despite us being away for 8 of the days since the install our electricity consumption is already over 1/3 of our normal monthly usage in the just over 2 weeks since it was installed.

I've been all over the internet and cannot find an answer, can anyone please enlighten me?  TIA 

Additional note - we are very luck to be on a fixed rate at the moment but that £1 will soon become closer to £3 a day hence the need for an answer.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Newly installed Openreach ONT or broadband router using a lot of electricity?!

An ONT is rated at 4-5watts , left on for 24 hours is about 4p ( based on 28p/kWh ) , the router is also rated about the same , so combined 8p/day.

Message 3 of 5

Re: Newly installed Openreach ONT or broadband router using a lot of electricity?!

Thank you, that information is extremely helpful. 

So what on earth is going on?? 😂 

I will keep on investigating.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Try getting one of these (or something similar). Plug it between the wall socket and your ONT's PSU:

TP-Link Tapo Smart Plug

Works with Tapo app on your phone - no special hub needed. Reports current power draw, and records hourly / daily / monthly energy usage (especially useful for intermittent devices).

Make sure to get the version with power monitoring - otherwise it's just a remote switch.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Please delete the link, it breaches forum rules in regard to e-commerce sites.

0 Ratings