cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Not a happy customer - thinking of leaving

Hi all,

My first and maybe my last but thought I's try one last thing - I've been round the houses this evening for near on 3 hours, spoken to many different folks all passed me onto someone else - had enough now.

Basically i've had infinity 1 (FTTC) for a few years, bought when it was the 'Up to 54Mb' (the stayfast wotnot seems to be lowered every year... but thats another story)

My speed has been quite consistent for some time but in recent weeks has started to drop off - I used to get 48Mb and then it resettled itself to around 44/45Mb.

Lately it dropped to 27-32 and I'm trying to find out why and get it fixed (but I keep being told its over the 23Mb stay fast so we can't call an engineer..!!) It's pretty poor in my opinion that BT set such low stay fasts to absolve themselves of any contractual obligations but advertise considerably higher speeds to get folks to sign up!

Anyway - can someone shed light on my figures below so I know how to approach it - or just resign to the fact and cancel the contract.

Firmware version: SG4B1000E040
Data rate:  9.99 Mbps / 35.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 10745 / 52280
Noise margin: 6.3 dB / 9 dB
Line attenuation: 60.1 dB
Signal attenuation: 42.8 dB / 61.6 dB

When this happend 6 months ago a very friendly engineer came out and said he couldn't find any faults but noted the IP Profile (or DLM..?) has been capped, probably from a previous line issue but hadn't reset - he made call to someone who promply reset it and it came back to 45Mb where it stayed for another few months.

Now its dropped again - does the above give anyone any clues for me..?

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Not a happy customer - thinking of leaving

DLM has capped your line at 35M due to instability, your line is capable of 52M. The engineer that came out clearly didn't fix the underlying cause of your problems and just got a DLM reset performed. Without fixing the fault, DLM is just doing its job again. Is there any noise when you do a quiet line test 17070, it should be totally silent with a corded phone.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Thx for the reply. The DLM reset was back in Feb or so and has been fine for months. 

The quiet line is pretty quiet but has a faint hum (I suspect that’s normal?)

ive not had the DLM reset this time although they say the engineer fixed the fault yesterday - as he didn’t come to the house I can’t comment in what they actually did. 

speaking this evening to the ‘faults’ lady I have now been advised they won’t send an engineer because I’m over the stay fast and the faults team are not able to reset it. 

Not sure where to turn next. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

With a corded phone , it should be totally silent, you might hear a slight hum with a cordless phone. DLM has definitely banded your line at 35M, the engineer should have asked for a reset afterwards, but if he didn't fix anything the problem will just return again anyway.

Message 5 of 21

I’ll try to find a corded one to test

Do my Noise, Line and Signal attenuation numbers look high - I believe higher numbers mean lower speeds..?

Are there general issues that cause these high values.

id like the DLM reset so I can monitor over a week or 2 to see if they drop again - that would tell me if there is still a problem - just not sure how I can get it reset -BT don’t seem to want to do it or ask for it to be done!!

thx

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Your noise margin is high due to action taken by DLM.

Message 7 of 21

can you post the full stats from the hub instead of an abbreviated version

if your attenuation is 60db then there is something wrong.  Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate any problems with master faceplate or internal wiring

can you enter your phone number and post results - see what you estimated range actually is

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 21

Sure - hope its not too long...

Product name: BT Hub 6A
Serial number: +084316+NQ71355860
Firmware version: SG4B1000E040
Firmware updated: 25-Oct-2020
Board version: 1.0
Gui version: 1.115.0
DSL uptime: 0 Days, 1 Hours 29 Minutes 51 Seconds
Data rate: 9.99 Mbps / 35.00 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 10745 / 52280
Noise margin: 6.3 dB / 9 dB
Line attenuation: 60.1 dB
Signal attenuation: 42.8 dB / 61.6 dB
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path
Data sent / received: 145 MB Uploaded / 508 MB Downloaded
Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi: Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6
2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 11)
5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub6
5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)
Wireless mode: Mode 1
Firewall: On
MAC address: A0:8E:78:25:93:3D
Software variant: -
Boot loader: 7.33.1
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Not sure what you need from the second link - but here goes...

VDSL Range A (Clean) 52.93510.1732.4AvailableAvailable--
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 51.532.4106.526.1AvailableAvailable--

FTTP on Demand

33030--Available--

ADSL Products

WBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate

Up to 8--5.5 to 12.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 8Up to 15.5 to 12.5AvailableAvailable--
Up to 7.5--6.5 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----

Observed Speeds

Max Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date

2020-11-06

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Sorry - I have tried the test socket (but have one of the new faceplates that plugs straight into the test socket behind. 

Not tried with filter as was advised I don’t need them now - but will dig one out and try it.

Thx for your help so far.!

0 Ratings