cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Not getting correct speeds after line fixed

Hi all,

I'll try keep a long story short:

- Moved house ~2 months ago, ofcom and BT quoted speeds of ~60Mb.

- Ordered and was only offered 23Mb on a Fibre 1 package

- Moved in, spoke to neighbours, both get 60Mb (Fibre 2) so contacted BT

- Engineer sent out and found line faults, faults repaired, now get 37Mb. Openreach engineer said my line is capped to 40Mb.

- Paying for Fibre 1 and if I check available speeds by pretending to order Fibre1 again, now saying I'd get 49-50Mb with a stay fast of 46Mb. 

- Rang and spoke to several people at BT, they basically said the only way they can resolve it is if they move me off Fibre 1 and back onto Fibre 1 but that'd mean a new contract! 

Surely this can't be true? Why is my Fibre 1 capped at 40Mb and not 50Mb? And also as this was not my fault and I am paying for Fibre 1,  surely they should resolve this by simply correcting the cap to 50Mb? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! 🙂 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Not getting correct speeds after line fixed

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Are you connected to the mSter socket currently?  If so have you tried the test socket behind the faceplate to see if that helps

enter your phone number provided you don't have digital voice and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your reply. I am connected to the master socket yes and BT have acknowledged that my speed (37) is due to my line being capped at 40Mb, and they said they could give me Fibre1 with 46Mb gaurantee but they are refusing to increase the cap to 50Mb even though I pay for Fibre 1 unless I renew a contract with them.

My argument is that it's not my fault their line had faults and had the line been OK when I moved in... I'd be paying the same price for Fibre 1 with a 50Mb cap. 

1000033536.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

You are on a 40/10 profile and the line is capable of a lot more. It may be that the fault had been there for so long that the system that monitors line-attenuation performance assumed that was all you particular line was capable of, and that’s all you would have been offered. (It happens on long rural lines all the time when houses off one DP can be 100’s of metres apart).
Speak to the advisor again and find out what profile you were sold and if you can have it changed to 80/20.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Alternatively I'm sure @imjolly will ask a mod to drop in and get the cap removed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

I've spoken to 3 or 4 people at BT, they say they can't do anything unless I sign a new contract.

You're correct at the time I moved they could only offer me 23Mb because of the line quality. 

However, I'm still paying for Fibre 1 which should cap out at 50 not 40 right? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The profile is 40/10, so that’s all you will get. The next step up is 80/20, if you were on that you’d probably be looking at around 70-75/20 speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

1000033541.jpg

If I try order Fibre1 now, it goes up to 50? Not capped at 40. 

Fibre 2 would give me a bit more:

1000033543.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Your are capped and line capable of fibre 1  max so have asked mod to help get you in correct profile. Mods will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 11

Thank you 🙂 

0 Ratings