cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

ONT in loft

Spoiler

I've got an FTTP installation booked for next Friday. My preference is to have the cable enter somewhere discrete, not the simplest option which would be through the front of the lounge where it is neither close to my networking equipment, or easily connected to it.

I may have an option to install the ONT in the loft, from where a cat 6 already runs down to my equipment, but are there concerns with overheating of the unit in the summer? I did hear somewhere that the ONT won't be as susceptible to heat as a router is.

Secondly is it just one visit from the openreach engineer? It would be good to talk through the options first and work out of I need to do anything like getting power up there, if we go with that option, which might not be a massive task for various reasons. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: ONT in loft

Is your fibre coming from a pole or from the street outside your home?

Openreach engineer will probably be 1 visit and fit the fibre cable and the ONT.  The ONT heads a power supply so needs socket close by

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Ok, I thought that might be that case. Had seen reports of 2 visits but it sounds like just one is standard open reach practice. 

I may well be able to get power in to the loft, if so I was just concerned whether the ONT could withstand prolonged periods of 30°+. Obviously the hub/my router will be in a more stable environment temperature wise ( my lounge)  . I imagine the ONT is a fairly simple device comparatively though

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

You never said if the fibre cable will come from a pole or from the pavement outside your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

SIN 1003 says maximum ambient temperature is 45 degrees so should be OK in loft.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thanks, ideal answer.

Line will be from pole as it happens.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@User_346995246   Should you be able to persuade the Openreach installer to go into your loft to fit the ONT, please let us know by updating this topic.

Hope installation goes OK for you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@User_346995246 

then from other similar post the fibre will follow your existing phone line probably to eves then down to ground for CSP and then back up again.  is your loft walk in and floored?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I forgot about the CSP. Is that generally always fitted outside and at low level? 

If so then my best bet might just be conceding to having the ONT in the front of my lounge, running my own exterior cat6 from the loft and asking the engineer to fit it alongside the fibre line on the wall. Bring that in to plug in to the ONT and hook the other end up to my existing CAT6 that runs from the loft to the router at the back of the lounge. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

yes if you read other posts then CSP fitted outside at ground level.  the engineer will fit the fibre cable to ONT and up to you to fit any ethernet cable

0 Ratings