cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

One for the mods? Misleading and incorrect claims by trooli broadband

Go to solution

I've received a multi-page communication from trooli, addressed to The Occupier of my property, advertising Full Fibre broadband.

Several misleading claims are being made and I think someone from BT should investigate and perhaps involve Ofcom.

I tried to attach a scan of the worst page, but there is a ludicrously low size limit of 333kb, so anyone who wants to see it will have to PM and then e-mail me . Anyway, the incorrect claims made are:

1. That ' . . . old copper phonelines are used (and shared) to the properties.'. This is untrue because while a copper pair contained within the cable that serves a customer's premises will typically be connected, at a DP, to a pair within a multi-pair copper cable, each customer premises always has at least one dedicated copper pair between the premises and the PCP.

2. That with FTTC, fibre cables 'stop halfway' between and exchange and a customer's premises. They do of course stop part-way, but seldom if ever half-way.

3. That 'having your own dedicated Full Fibre connection means that you get consistent, reliable, guaranteed speeds day and night'. This is almost certainly untrue because there will surely be overbooking of bandwidth in the core network. In the early days following rollout the core will be lightly loaded but as more users are enabled there is likely to be contention, albeit variable, and depending on aggregate usage.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: One for the mods? Misleading and incorrect claims by trooli broadband

Go to solution

Hi @FrustratedCustomer68   Why should BT investigate? What is special about BT and not all the other ISPs like Sky, TalkTalk etc.?

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

The only Copper Lines that were shared were those on a DACS.

Unlike GPON FTTP Networks where 32 Customers share a Single Fibre all the way back to the Head End.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

This has nothing to do with BT or OFCOM. Perhaps you may wish to report it to the ASA.

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html 

Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

@Starwire wrote:

The only Copper Lines that were shared were those on a DACS.

You're obviously too young to remember shared service AKA party lines. 😄

Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@licquorice  I am, I used to be on one years ago.😂

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Starwire There was also an experimental pair gain system manufactured by Gfeller which was used to provide extra E side capacity. I installed one system in the early eighties but I don't think it was ever taken up nationally. The only reference I can find on the web is from Australia. It required a concentrator at the exchange and at the cabinet.

Found it http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/po_docs/tgn_0029_concentrator.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Ah yes....... The good old party line.

Out with the watering can to water the earth rod.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

A good point @VeteranISPUser  . On reflection I guess my thinking has been coloured by my great age, and I was thinking of BT as the incumbent..

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, you're probably right @pippincp and it's a good idea.

0 Ratings