cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Ongoing issue with BT & Fibre

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place to post this..

We've recently moved house, and prior to moving I checked if I was able to move my current fibre broadband package over to the new property to save the hassle of setting up a new connection etc. The move home system said I was able to move the package over with no issues, so we commenced the move and awaited activation. (We moved on the 11th Feb, internet live date the 21st of Feb).

The 21st came around and we had no internet, I rang BT and was told there was an outage and it should be live by 9AM the following morning. Next morning.. still no internet. We rang BT and an engineer was sent out the following day - apparently we had been linked to the wrong cabinet in the village and needed to be reconnected to a correct one.

For next 2 weeks we went through the cease & re-provide fiasco with constant delays and issues, and finally was told that fibre isn't available and we can only have a copper connection that runs at ~5mbps.

The problem is I run a business using a cloud based fileserver that requires constant access to large design files, and my partner works at home in the pensions industry, and if we would have known there was a fibre issue we would have never moved, as it is integral to our livelihood. 

Looking into the issue further, numerous people in the village have access to fibre, even the previous occupant of the house was offered fibre when she set up her own connection. Additionally,  I have spoken to someone who had a fibre connection, sold their house & moved 5 doors down on the same street, and then didn't have fibre available.

I'm at a loss at what to do as BT technical support isn't being much help. The ADSL checker reads as linked, and apparently has shown the same data for months.

The main exchange to the village has FTTC, and the business part on the edge of the village has superfast live. Additionally when checking on fibre availability & Superfast North Yorkshire, they all say fibre should be available, but when you go through further into the order process it flags up an error.

Any help is appreciated!

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ongoing issue with BT & Fibre

The problem is I run a business using a cloud based fileserver

@Craigr91  as a business user you need to post on the BT Business forum.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

This is the residential customer forum, and business usage is not allowed on a residential account.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the response -  business-use aside my partner works at home as many others do using a residential broadband package. With that in mind, is the issue still not applicable for this forum?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

From the dslchecker notes it appears openreach have ongoing engineering work at your cabinet and is reason showing currently unavailable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi imjolly,

Thanks for the reply - sadly this has apparently been the case for months, and nowhere has any reports of on-going works (info via BT).

Could there be a clerical error / database inaccuracy involved? Would an engineer visit be able to verify "on-going engineering work" ?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

As you run your business from home are you a business user with a business account?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Part of my business is developing designs for clients prior to manufacture & installation. I do this from home as my workshop is very rural and has no internet connectivity.

I have no business account, or user details.

Regardless, the issue we have is with our general connection to our home

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

As @Keith_Beddoe  posted this forum is for residential customers and business customers have their own forum.  With your post saying you run your business from home you should have a business account not residential as the business account gives a better SLA and provides compensation for loss of service

0 Ratings