cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: Only getting half of Full Fibre 900

Go to solution

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and it manages full speed on WiFi so just depends on device.

pixel.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution

When you're on a wired connection, only your laptop is making use of that wire - it can send and receive data at 1Gbps without having to worry about what other devices are doing, using an electrical connector whose properties are almost constant.

When you're on WiFi you're sending data on radio frequencies. If you've ever been listening to the radio in a car driving in remote areas, or going through tunnels, you know that the signal can fade in and out - the same issues exist in your home, with walls and ceilings between the router and your devices, furniture and doors (and people) getting in the way, microwave ovens being switched on, temperature and humidity changing.

To ensure you can still get reliable communication as the environment gets more challenging, your phone/laptop/whatever will lower its data rate (trading speed for reliability).

On top of all the above, your devices all share the WiFi radio frequencies (and share them with neighbours as well).  If two devices try to transmit on the same frequency at the same time their transmissions collide with each other and are lost.  In this case, each device has to repeat its transmission later.  As more and more devices use the WiFi, collisions become more frequent meaning more retransmissions, and lower throughput for all devices.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

Go to solution

@mikemod 

It doesn't depend on the device.. The Pixel 7 has the same WLAN as my Galaxy - 6e capable, and I don't achieve the full speed of fibre 900.

You have a Wi-Fi 6 compatible router/mesh to obtain that speed, because Wi-Fi 5 won't.

--
https://warehamwx.co.uk/
0 Ratings