cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 40

Re: Openreach fibre move

Go to solution

There will be a CSP, either external or internal. The external fibre can't connect directly to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 40

Go to solution

Mine is the standard CSP box - it's been in a few years, neighbours without external CSP's are all recent installs, last 6 months or so.

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 40

Go to solution

Sorry @imjolly , I meant no external CSP on the Neighbours. I'd have been perfectly happy with a similar installation like yours, with the cable going in at first floor level. If mine is standard and the newer ones aren't, fair enough. 

Message 34 of 40

Go to solution

The excess fibre in a CSP is normally spooled around a circular storage area , that way should  the fibres ( one from the external cable , the other from the fibre SC/APC connector )  need to be re-spliced , there is sufficient excess to make this possible, if the CSP has no area where the fibres can be stored observing the minimum bend radius, then it may be necessary to replace one or both of the fibre cables if a re-splice were necessary, personally I’ve never seen a CSP like the one  @imjolly has ‘in the flesh’ , perhaps they were used in some regions but not others.

Message 35 of 40

Go to solution

That's what I was wondering, have they maybe moved from the external box to the internal one, I'd never seen one of those before - must ask one of the other neighbours, with a recent install. Perhaps they are "now the norm" in some areas.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 40

Go to solution

my install was about 14 months ago

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 37 of 40

Go to solution

My FTTP was also installed around a similar time and I too have an internal CSP. I live in a 1st floor maisonette. My ground floor neighbour also has FTTP and they have an external CSP. I'm guessing the internal CSP is far less common than the external one. I've attached pictures which show what Openreach did at the time of installation. Our installs were done by different engineers and mine was done around 3/4 months before my neighbour.Where the fibre enters my property and goes into an internal CSPWhere the fibre enters my property and goes into an internal CSPCloser inspection viewCloser inspection viewNeigbours fibreNeigbours fibreNeighbours external CSPNeighbours external CSP

Message 38 of 40

Go to solution

My provider is an Altnet and I don't have a CSP.

The external cable comes through the wall to a Nokia ONT although the Nokia is quite large as the bottom half has a cable tidy inside which must have about 5ft of cable wrapped around it. This extra allowed the engineer to splice a short length of internal wire with the plug on the end.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 40

Go to solution

sounds like the CSP is just incorporated into the ONT Casing.

Openreach used to do something similar, although it didn’t house a Cable Joint and it looked awful.

It was a Case that stored the old 1+1 ONT and a BBU. The thing was the size of a Breeze Block, hence why a lot of Openreach Engineers nicknamed it, The Breeze Block’.

It received a lot of Customer Complaints and was soon abandoned when Openreach were no longer obliged to provide a BBU and opted for a smaller ONT that is about the size of an NTE5a.

You can still get cases for the newer ONT’s but they’re smaller and are normally only installed on Green Sites.

One of the main reasons Openreach moved back to an external CSP was so that their Engineers can access the Fibre more easily for testing without the need for the customer to be home.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 40

Go to solution

My ONT is not quit the size of a breeze block thankfully 😙

It's 235mm x 135mm x 40mm, fibre cable and power cable goes in the bottom left side and ethernet connection comes out the bottom right side.

The size of the ONT does not matter to me as it's inside a downstairs cupboard near to where the old copper cable duct entered the house.

If anyone is wondering why the fibre did not enter the house through existing duct?

My electricity cable enters the house sharing the same duct as the copper, the civils installers stated that fibre cables are not allowed to share ducting with electrical cables in case of a fire in the duct and it spreading along the fibre cable and into the house?

I have no reason to disbelieve this as it did create more work for the them.

0 Ratings