cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 43

Re: Poor speeds - FTTP

These speed tests aren't conducted over WiFi, it's ethernet cable to laptop, good measure pulled my other cables out and disabled WiFi. Single device should be getting close to minimum guarantee at least.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 43

Testing on Ookla is erratic. 

The same server I can get 420 to 470, try again and 15 to 40. 

I have tried the test files on think broadband and for the 1GB file it's 35 minutes.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 43

I only ask because ive never used the BT speed tester, post your Ookla results?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 43

This is the OOKLA speed test that I ran yesterday.

Madhatter007_0-1718891537596.png

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 43

Have you checked the settings on your laptop Ethernet port? As you are getting a bit less than 100Mbps it may not be configured correctly. My desktop is supposed to have 1Gb capability but I never get more than 500Mbps no matter how I configure it. If I plug the same cable into a more recent laptop I get the full 900Mbps so it could just be your Ethernet port that is faulty.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 43

I mean yeah, probably best at this point to test a different device.

What do you get over WIFI with a smart phone or something?

In fact what do you get over WIFI on your laptop?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 43

Its a Gbp USB hub and I have tried two separate ones as well as a laptop with a Gbp dedicated port
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 43

Yes, sitting less than 4 metres from the router, it displays the same behavior: 400+ at times and others below 30Mbps

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 43

Presumably you have tried all the Ethernet ports on the router incase one is defective.

TBH , as stated , you need to try a different device ( different laptop/ PC or whatever ) in case it’s your laptop that’s the problem , the other thing to have in mind is that you are on a shared system that employs dynamic bandwidth allocation, so the demand from all users on your splitter at any instant will vary , so your speed tests will also vary to a certain extent , but you should always achieve the minimum speed guarantee….TBH , the speed to router looks fine so the issue most likely isn’t the FTTP network anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 43

I have tried different laptops:-

1. A laptop and a Macbook with USB C GB dongles (two different dongles).

2. A laptop with a dedicated GB Ethernet port.

1 & 2 above with different Ethernet cables.

All speed tests were done connected directly to the BT router, with nothing else connected to the router. For good measure, I disabled the WiFi; surely, in these circumstances, I should be hitting the minimum guarantee as there is nothing else using the internet.

That is what I am finding perplexing and the reason I disabled the WIFI and pulled out the ethernet cables to leave just the test laptop connected. If the router is reporting a synch speed of 478, then I should at the very least be hitting the minimum guarantee, that's clearly not happening with the various test scenarios as well as test sites.

0 Ratings