cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 43

Re: Poor speeds - FTTP

The BT engineer came, did his test and all passed. Ran Fast.com speed tests and they all came out at 380 to 500. Tried with the dongle I was getting below 300 and mostly under 150, all came back similar to his, 300 to 440.
Since he left I tried with my PC thats situated away from router and plugged in via RJ45 and switch, all accpetable range.

I mate suggested testing the true speed running a test file download from here

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

It comes out me at around 17 - 20 minutes which is 8MBish. Could someone test see if they get better? Tried few other speed tests and they come back good to very poor, really flumoxed on why its like that but now so far fast.com is showing good speeds.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 43

Hi Madhatter

I am getting all sorts of security warnings using your link when I try to run a test.

I use Cloudfare which runs a comprehensive series of tests some of which check download speeds

Internet Speed Test - Measure Network Performance | Cloudflare

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 43

A bit of a confusing post but I think I've decypered it. Correct me if I'm wrong by all means.

Engineer attended and showed acceptable results. You then tried with you dongle and got the same (unlike what you got before).

You then connected your PC via RJ45 and again got acceptable results.

You then tried a test download from TBB without naming the size of the file and got a speed of approx 64mbps. I only managed to pull the 1Gb file at 48mbps. or 6MBps

For @Ewan1 the reson for the security warnings on downloading the file is because it contains nothing other than rubbish, there is no meaningful info in it.

Various speed tests from various sites give different results but Fast.com shows good.

Fast.com is reccomended by the FTTP team as the preferred test site as it is known to have the bandwidth available. I should imagine Cloudflare is the same, others maybe not.

Bottom line: you connecction appears OK.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 43

Cloudfare actually allows you to see what is going on with the connection.

The connection is optimised so small chunks of data go relatively slowly and large chunks of data go full speed as you can see from the image below.

Ewan1_0-1719559048657.png

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 43

For me I always found  OVH Cloud  to be the most reliable.

speed.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 43

@pippincp  Good spot should have mentioned the file size, it was 1GB and  was taking 32 minutes

I tried the two speed tests, Cloudflare is 438 and OVH is 450.

Probably being thick here as I was going off the 1GB file download on Thinkbroadband and what people said, folks with 500MB were downloading it a lot faster than I could, it seems to be the case as FTP to work takes much longer for me than colleagues who live the same town as me but are on Virgin.

I tried the file from OVH

1 Gio file1 gibioctet230 octets1,024 Mio

1,073,741,824 octets

And it was showing fluctuating between 26 to 39 minutes.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 43

Speeds are puker

Madhatter007_0-1719590567136.png

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 43

Madhatter007_0-1719590646657.png

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 43

@pippincp 

I tested the Think Broadband file at my friend's house, he has Virgin media 1GB and he downloaded the file in under two minutes, out of curiosity, we redid it at the same time, at my house - I ran fast.com and beforehand and it reported 420 - 470 and tried the download, it was showing 35 minutes, I let it run for 5 minutes but there was no change in the speed, my friend did it at his house exact same time and he downloaded it under 3 minutes.

What could be the issue as far as BT is concerned all is honky dory as fast.com shows above the minimum.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 43

Single thread and multiple thread download.

0 Ratings