cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Position of ONT

I'm thinking of having full fiber with digital voice, I assume they'll remove the copper wire that runs overhead and drops down to the front door and replace it with fiber.

Would the ONT be able to be placed in the loft, is this something their "engineers " are able to do?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Position of ONT

I would caution against having the ONT installed in the loft unless you have easy access to it, there may be times during fault conditions that you will need to know the status of the indicator LEDs'

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Unless the loft is fully boarded, Openreach won't even consider it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

The ONT also requires connection to a power supply which may not be available in your loft

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Cheers for all the replies, loft is fully boarded. There's lighting and power in the loft and access is not a problem

I guess it's now subject to survey/engineer visit.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I guess your loft isn't like most peoples lofts! I once viewed a townhouse that had a fully floored loft you could stand fully and walk around in, a network switch, and a patch panel for the cabling to all the sockets installed around the house below, so would have been the ideal place for the ONT and router to be located.

I guess it all depends on access for the Openreach engineer: if the loft is safely accessed via stairs, good lighting, socketed power. there is an existing hole to the external wall that can be easily accessed re-used, or if a hole can be drilled inside to out then it will likely be OK. They would have also to be able to access the other side of the wall safely via their ladders to route the fibre in.

But I doubt they will be allowed to go up a loft ladder (they can only use their own tested ladders), through a ceiling hatch, or to drill a hole whilst up an external ladder.

A lot is left up to the engineer and how amenable they are. They only have a certain timeslot to do the job so anything too complex is more likely to be denied, and anything that has access safety issues will certainly be denied.

0 Ratings