cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Query Regarding Full Fibre Upgrade

Good morning,

Yesterday, I had Full Fibre installed after waiting 3 months and having 3 missed appointments.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can help with.

• Can you confirm if Openreach still offer the BBU (Backup Battery Unit) as I asked the engineer to install this and when I returned home only the ONT box was there.

• As I have Full Fibre my digital voice was upgraded, therefore the box should have been installed in case the power goes out and I need to use my home phone.

• The fibre line that comes into my home and into the current ONT box has been run quite tightly and I am concerned that the strands inside could break . Can I get this reinstalled?

• Because I now have fibre, please could you confirm if my old ADSL is still active and can be used, or would this have been disconnected from my home?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Query Regarding Full Fibre Upgrade

@TS21 

There are no battery backup units fitted, its up to the user to provide an alternative supply, although BT do sell suitable units.

The intern al fibre is as thin as a human hair, and is heavily protected, so damage is unlikely.

The ADSL connection and associated copper routing will be disconnected, if it has not already been done.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

BBU are not part of a standard install , if you feel you need to keep the ONT powered during a power outage , you can supply and fit one yourself , but why would you want to keep the ONT powered , when the router is ‘off’ , during a power outage ?,

For  DV to work, it requires  both the ONT and router to be powered , during a power outage  the ‘old’ OR BBU’s from several years ago never powered the router anyway  , just the ONT ,as the phone was plugged into the ONT , not the router , that  system (FVA , fibre voice access) is no longer used, hence no need for an ONT BBU.

If you feel you need UPS ( uninterruptible power supply)  for both the ONT and router , then there are units available to buy , your ISP isn’t required to provide this for you , unless you fit the criteria and are deemed ‘vulnerable’ , in most cases , the obvious solution for most consumers , is to use your mobile if there is a power outage , this covers your first and second points.

Your optical cables only have 1 ‘fibre’ in them , if your service is working, unless its physically damaged it’s unlikely you will ever have a failure, so they won’t ‘fix’ something that isn’t broken.

If ADSL/VDSL was on the (presumably now redundant) copper pair , then it shouldn’t still be working , and if for whatever reason it is , it will soon stop .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.

Would you say the attached - https://bit.ly/Openreach-ONT-Box installation is fine then?

And, please correct me if I'm wrong, but our Digital Voice connection for our phones wouldn't work if our hub was powered off. Is that correct?

Even with a BBU for the ONT box, it wouldn't work?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Installation looks fine.

Yes, as already said, to maintain service you'd need backup power for both the ONT & SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

reading the FAQ will help

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Hi,

Thank you for confirming and for sending over that FAQ.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

In new builds , where the developers, at first fix , run the internal optical cable on behalf of Openreach ( a job they are paid to do ) , the internal optical  cable is left coiled inside an electric pattress box , the Openreach  installation then includes  a cover designed to fit onto a pattress box which encases the ONT which gives a cleaner ‘finished’ look to the installation, but in non new builds , the ONT is simply surface mounted , and if the image posted is of your installation is what you would expect.

The white optical cable plugged into the ONT has an acceptable ‘bend radius’ , so isn’t going to affect the optical performance, in other words the bend isn’t too tight 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@iniltousThe acceptable ‘bend radius’ is roughly that of a £2 coin. I'm interested  in the patress box that houses the ONT though, I hve never seen an example of that. Do you have a link to any images or etc of that?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Openreach have a video for new site developers that shows the case that the ONT can be fitted into , when an electric pattress box contains the Ezibend SC/APC internal cable , OR can pay the developer an extra payment for DSI ( developer self install ) where the developer ( normally the electrician ) fits the ONT and case ready for the OR tech to complete the installation, many developers only fit the Ezibend cable , or even where the developer has been paid a DSI premium, the OR tech has to fit the equipment anyway.

The ONT cover can also be fitted on a single ‘back box’ and mounted vertically rather than horizontally, that’s why there is two sets of OR markings on the cover.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwii48Dqrpf7AhXNhFwKHctoB3...