cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Quick fibre installation question

Go to solution

I'm due to have full fibre installed soon. Do I have the option of choosing where I want the Hub positioned in the house? I ask because my neighbour had her install done recently and they wouldn't site it where she wanted it and told her there was only one part of her front room they would place it. She has now had to buy new cabling to resite the hub in her preferred location.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Quick fibre installation question

Go to solution

Up to a point. It will depend on reasonably easy access, the availability of a mains socket to power the ONT & what side of bed the OR installer got out of that morning! So you can ask for a specific location but can't insist. Tea & biscuits is the often quoted currency for getting it sited where you want.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

In my neighbours house access or power point availability weren't an issue. She could literally have put it in any area of the room with zero hassles to the installation guys. I must remember to have the kettle boiled that morning 😄

I've just had another thought. Has anyone had, or know of anyone that has had, the cable run up the front of their house to an upstairs front room? It would be a different option for me IF there was any chance of them doing it that way. It's just a thought and maybe not within their remit.

EDIT: I should add that our cables are all underground and so will be coming in to the property via our front garden.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You can negotiate the position of the ONT (the fibre modem), but the position of the router is your responsibility. The installer will only place it adjacent to the ONT but you can run an Ethernet cable up to 100Metres between ONT and router if you wish.

They may well be amenable to running the cable up the front of the house, you'll need biscuits as well as a boiled kettle.😄

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks @licquorice  I shall bring out my best creams 😄

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It’s most likely BT would’ve Ordered you a ‘Standard Installation’ as they never seem to order a Premium, which I assume is due to cost.

A Standard allows the Engineer to Run a Max 30m Cable, although they say 25m as you need a couple of Metres at the CSP and to allow for any bends and the Cable going Vertically.

As part of the Standard they can run up to 10m Internally but ideally you want none done Internally as they have to strip it down to the 5mm Micron Core, which can only be Stapled, not Cleated. Not only does it look like S*** but it leaves the Fibre Cable exposed more susceptible to damage.

Most Openreach Engineers are quite accommodating and will put the ONT where you ask within reason, this whole Buttering them up with Tea and Biscuits is nonsense. You can give them all the Ponce Flavoured Tea or Coffee in the World, it’ll not change their mind if they won’t or can’t put an ONT in a place they deem unsafe, impractical and or beyond what your CP has paid for.

As for Contractors, they’re a law upon themselves so good luck if you get one of those. 

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@Starwire 

Thanks for the heads up re wiring. Very useful info to have. I know it was a contractor my neighbour had so that would explain why they were so stubborn re positioning etc. It's taken me 6 months and a second order being made to get this far. Sure what else could go wrong 🤔 😎

Thank you all for your responses. 

0 Ratings