cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: How is Full Fibre installed in properties with legacy copper?

We do not have FTTP available as yet but recently black wires on the wood poles have been rolled up and tied on and some blue cabling was going on under the road (but with no digging). So I was also wondering how it would come to the premises (if our non priority area ever gets FTTP). I think they will take the fibre optic cable via the existing wooden telephone pole and across to the house where the current telephone lines go (we had 6 telephone numbers /lines at one point and are now down to "only " 3 ).

They all reach the house at roof height in one place currently and then go off in various ways - most into and through the garage and then some back outside again and across the back of the house wall and a few then come directly into my office at the back (where I hope FTTP could be brought in as that is where I mostly am). Whether I will have any choice at all and whether the person installing ill even speak English is another matter - the men working on the road recently could not speak enough English to explain what they were doing to any neighbour who spoke to them, unfortunately). So it would be really good if someone who speaks English could agree in advance of FTTP exactly where the line will come into a house before the house holder commits to taking FTTP.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

This page should explain how Openreach install Full fibre once it is available  and you order a full fibre service from a provider such as BT.

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

One available you can check www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com which will have some details on whether the fibre cable to the property will be underground or overhead. By the sounds of what you have said so far it will probably be overhead 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@Jane2018wrote:

Whether I will have any choice at all and whether the person installing ill even speak English is another matter - the men working on the road recently could not speak enough English to explain what they were doing to any neighbour who spoke to them, unfortunately). So it would be really good if someone who speaks English could agree in advance of FTTP exactly where the line will come into a house before the house holder commits to taking FTTP.

What language the contractors speak is irrelevant and your showing some racial discrimination in your message.

If you bothered to search the forum, you would know that the fibre would 99% of the time, follow the copper dropwires route to the property, go to a csp and then within reason be installed in your preferred location, providing you have sockets available in the location.

Message 4 of 11

@Jane2018 

Whether I will have any choice at all and whether the person installing ill even speak English is another matter - the men working on the road recently could not speak enough English to explain what they were doing to any neighbour who spoke to them, unfortunately)

It's not the job of any workman to inform the  public of what the work is & if it was me working on the road the answer may not be polite, but spoken in perfect English.

The engineers who do the actual installations will speak good English, but maybe with a foreign accent, a bit like a hospital consultant may do, as they have to have sufficient language skills to explain the system to householders who are too dimwitted to understand it otherwise.

Message 5 of 11

We live on private roads so we had to find a senior official on our estate who tried to make sure the man got back the message to his boss that digging cannot occur without certain procedures as residents pay for the roads etc although of course we know most utility companies have various legal rights to deal with electricity, surface water etc.    I think the message was got through although knowing my luck the result will be they decide not to give us FTTC.     I agree a man working even on a pubilc road does not have to have enough English to explain the task. It was a big confusing the only thing I could understand that he said was the words 5G however when I think his work was FTTC although a 5G mast is planned about 2 doors down from me which is another separate issue so I was wondering if he were working on that instead but I think not.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the link and I agree that it is likely to be overhead. I suppose my main question is if I can have it coming into my home office at back of house where I mostly use the computer/internet/telephone calls as now . Basically I won't want it if I cannot have the kit into this room at the back. So I would want to order it only on the basis it can be brought in (as the current one of those lines is) into this room at the back - probably the biggest distance from the telephone pole on the verge outside the house into the house there is, the worst in terms of workman effort, most difficult route and one presumably every workman would hate compared to straight in at the front. The useful link above does not say about where it will come in and who controls that decision. Presumably if a telephone line cable can currently come round the back and into my office the new FTTP technically could as it is just cable so could follow a route of the existing telephone line.

"We connect the 15cm x 13cm external junction box to the Openreach fibre network using a fibre optic cable. Depending on your property, the cable will either run from underground or from a telegraph pole. In both cases, the cable runs directly from one of our exchanges. If a ladder is required during the installation, our engineer may need to drill temporary holes outside your property to work safely. Don't worry as the engineer will fill the holes and leave it neat and tidy."

We connect the 15cm x 13cm external junction box to the Openreach fibre network using a fibre optic cable. Depending on your property, the cable will either run from underground or from a telegraph pole. In both cases, the cable runs directly from one of our exchanges.

If a ladder is required during the installation, our engineer may need to drill temporary holes outside your property to work safely. Don't worry as the engineer will fill the holes and leave it neat and tidy.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The question of where the connection will enter your house will be for the installer, no-one else. Most will try to fulfill your request. BT nor any ISP have any control over that.

You can refuse the install if it not to your liking.

BTW 5G has nothing to do with FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thank  you. So if on the day the installer will only take it to the closest point between telegraph pole and house I could just cancel the FTTP order and stick with our existing broadband? I hope it is as simple as that.

Yes, I know 5G is not FTTP. That is what confused me. We have been fighting the 5G mast proposal since 2016 locally and when the workman mentioned 5G I thought he meant he was working on mast preparations; but later enquiries of him or his colleagues found it related to FTTP works.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Considering the near panic and totally disproportionate concern you had about potentially having to migrate to Digital Voice , and given that no one is ‘forced’ to take FTTP when it becomes available, in your case the solution is simple , don’t take FTTP , remain on what you have now ( don’t renew contracts , don’t switch providers ) until you have to no choice but to move to FTTP  , safe in the knowledge that it will be quite some time ( years ) before that happens.
TBH , it’s not even clear the the people you observed working were providing Openreach FTTP .

Message 10 of 11

@Jane2018 

Yes, I know 5G is not FTTP. That is what confused me. We have been fighting the 5G mast proposal since 2016 locally and when the workman mentioned 5G I thought he meant he was working on mast preparations; but later enquiries of him or his colleagues found it related to FTTP works.

A 5G mobile phone mast poses no risk but if you're one of those who actually think it will, you can buy one of these Mobile Phone 5G Signal WIFI EMF Shielding Caps & stop worrying.

In fact you'll be able to stand right under it & listen to it hissing, crackling & sparking with no risks whatsoever.

Mobile Phone 5G Signal WIFI EMF Shielding Cap.jpg