cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Reduced DL Speeds

Go to solution

Has anyone else noticed a reduction in their BB download speed over a period of time? The reason I ask is that when I joined BT in 2016 my download speed was 51 Mbps. This was rock solid. Overnight it dropped to 44 Mbps in 2019 and last week we had another reduction to 38 Mpbs. My HH5 status page shows this figure is consistant throughout the day.

I would welcome some advice regarding this as I find it most annoying. My account now shows an expected dl speed range of 36 - 40 Mbps with a guaranteed speed of 33 Mbps. When I joined in 2016, this range was 48 - 52 Mbps so BT have reduced the range of this service twice to my certain knowledge, resulting in quite an overall reduction in the speed on our line. Both times, they also reduced the expected range accordingly, which seems rather like moving the goalposts to me.

--
K W Starling
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reduced DL Speeds

Go to solution

@kw_starling 

These estimated figures are reduced downwards, as more people connect to the cabinet. This is due to interference (crosstalk) between customer connections. There is nothing you can do about this, its the main limitation with FTTC.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for your helpful reply, Keith.

When we were upgraded to FTTC, I thought I'd be rid of reduced speed issues caused by contention, a nightly occurrence. I didn't realise that reduced speed issues can live on due to "interference".

--
K W Starling
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@kw_starlingwrote:

Thanks for your helpful reply, Keith.

When we were upgraded to FTTC, I thought I'd be rid of reduced speed issues caused by contention, a nightly occurrence. I didn't realise that reduced speed issues can live on due to "interference".

See here :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thanks for this link. Very enlightening.
--
K W Starling
0 Ratings