cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Reduced available broadband speed for my household

Go to solution

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my broadband connection. I'm currently on the standard broadband and checked various broadband providers for faster speeds. They all show that I'm receiving the fastest possible, however, if I check the available broadband speeds for my neighbours then it shows that they can get superfast broadband

Why can both of my neighbours get superfast broadband (51 - 74 Mbps) whereas I am reduced to getting 24 Mbps maximum?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Reduced available broadband speed for my household

Go to solution
What does your contract with BT promise you on the broadband speed?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Chris, 

Currently do not have a BT contract but I am looking to switch providers

My question is more the fact that I'm offered a lower speed to others in my area - is this due to a problem with my infrastructure or connection to the network?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
Ahh...so BT isn't currently providing your broadband service?
In that case BT, along with other broadband providers that you are checking, is probably quoting you the minimum speed you can expect - which may be below what you'll actually get if you set up a contract with them. They do this to cover themselves.
What speed are you actually getting with your current provider?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Use the address checker here & post the results.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Who is currently providing your broadband ? , if you are on Openreach it’s quite possible that an  issue with your ‘line’ is causing it to underperform , that issue could be in the external in the Openreach network, or internally within your property .

As an example, say you and your neighbours all were  a similar distance to the FTTC ‘cabinet’ on the same type of infrastructure, ( served from the same distribution point ) and in general were predicted to get around 60Mb , and most get that , but one ‘line’ had an unreported fault on it that was causing the line to underperform and actually deliver 40Mb ….because there is ‘real’ data showing the line is providing  40Mb ( even though in good condition it would do 60Mb ) the estimates on checker sites etc are based on the real data , not a mathematical model , hence why some near neighbours can have different estimates speeds , if the underperforming line gets  its fault fixed , the actual speed improves , and the real data shows this , and that flows through to the estimates sites that show the increase too.

Post your router connection stats , they may show an issue , but obviously if you have a fault ( that you may be unaware of ) it’s your current provider that would need to get it looked at , not BT .

Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Results from Address Checker:

NicS71_0-1728909561458.png

and my stats from my router (sky):

NicS71_0-1728910754291.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

although checker shows you can get faster speeds than you have it looks like you have selected a SKY package with max 40mb connection speed  you could upgrade and get faster

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

although checker shows you can get faster speeds than you have it looks like you have selected a SKY package with max 40mb connection speed  you could upgrade and get faster

Or you're paying for a higher speed but on the wrong profile...

0 Ratings