cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Regrade fron Fibre 500 to 900 has slowed my upload speed??

Hi all

I'm hoping one of you nice folks can help here.

I recently upgraded from Fibre 500 to 900 and since then my upload speed seems to be stuck at 65mb.  Previously, I was uploading at 72.5mb (confirmed via speedtest.net)

I appreciate the fact that the 110mb that is advertised with Fibre 900 is not guaranteed, however I'm bit miffed as to why my upload speed has been adversely affected.  Worst case scenario, I would have expected it to have stayed the same.

Other than resetting the hub, which I have done already, is there anything more I can do to get this sorted?

Thanks 

Gordon

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Regrade fron Fibre 500 to 900 has slowed my upload speed??

Try running this link. It will tell you all about the fibre connection to your dwelling

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

Also try

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Both are official BT links

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Speed Test ResultsSpeed Test ResultsAvailability checkerAvailability checker

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Does the My BT app give similar results?

I would monitor it at different times of the day to see if it changes.

As the Fibre connection is contended it is possible a new user has been added that is uploading lots of data.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I have been trying speed tests since 6am this morning.  The speed has never changed from 65-67mb.   It's consistent if nothing else.  60% of the theoritical 110mb max is poor in my opinion, however BT will play the "it's more than 10mb" card, so I'm likely stuck 🙄

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@Ewan1 said:

As the Fibre connection is contended it is possible a new user has been added that is uploading lots of data

Ive read a few times that Openreach could not possibly serve everyone on the 900 package if they all ordered it due to due their being a 32:1 ratio, there isnt the total bandwidth available to do it on each split, assuming this is not the same up and down either.

So indeed, I hope all my neighbours dont sign up to FTTP, there is only two people on my CBT, everyone else is either on Virgin or Copper still, even in the road next to me more or less nothing....I worry my speeds are solid all day and night because of that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

I

"have been trying speed tests since 6am this morning.  The speed has never changed from 65-67mb.   It's consistent if nothing else.  60% of the theoritical 110mb max is poor in my opinion, however BT will play the "it's more than 10mb" card, so I'm likely stuck "

Ewan1_0-1723557176520.png

It looks like maybe they have only upped your download speed and not your upload speed as what you are seeing is about right for the 500 package.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

That's exactly what I was thinking, but CS are a nightmare to deal with.  I tried calling to explain the situation and just got the 10mb scripted reply.  I didn't have the time to argue with the person, as I knew I'd be flogging a dead horse.

Not sure if anyone on this forum has a way or means to get this looked into properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Pretty sure ive seen mods check profiles before, one of the established folks needs to engage them though if thats what they also believe may be the issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

The theoretical split is 32/1 but in practice it’s a maximum 30/1 and given the average current take up on OR FTTP is around 30% of the addresses covered , any individual is probably ‘sharing’ the available bandwidth with 9 or 10 others , obviously there will be variations, on a newsite that has no other network competitors it may well be 30 users , but conversely on a retro build area with competitors like Virgin and possibly an Alternative Network, someone may have an entire PON to themselves.
It’s not a useful way to consider bandwidth allocation anyway ….its not simply a case of 2.4Gb divided by 30 users therefore everyone gets around 80Mb each ….( or 1.2Gb divided by 30 for upload ) , usage is not linear, PONs have dynamic bandwidth allocation , higher speed profiles will alway be better off in absolute terms , if conditions were such that a 20% reduction was applied obviously 80% of 110Mb is more than 80% of 50Mb .

If congestion is suspected ( if someone was unlucky to be on a PON with couple of bandwidth hogs ) try a speed test at a time that would be expected to be ‘quiet’ , early morning ( 1am - 9am ) or late evening ( after 9pm ) if whatever issue exists during these times it’s probably not going to be congestion.

I recall there was a similar problem , if memory serves correctly, the issue turned out to be a problem on the BTw ‘backhaul’ , so many users were affected but only the one complainant , so the focus incorrectly but understandably was not on common parts of the network but on items specific to the one user that was complaining , the solution as it turns out was pretty simple , the interconnection connectors on the optical leads were cleaned ( dirty optics can impact performance severely )

The resolution supposedly also was to include a change in process/procedure so in cases or poor speed , these interconnection points to be considered as possible problems, even if it’s just a solitary user that was complaining,

TBH it is also the case an individual user won’t notice the difference between a 60Mb upload and a 110Mb upload in normal day to day use ( which is why in that case only one user complained, no one else even noticed ) only that particular user , that presumably ran speed tests continually, for no other reason than to ‘check’ they were indeed getting what they were paying for , was the only person that even noticed a problem, or was motivated enough to report it .