cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Removing and reattaching broadband socket

Posting here as i have spent a frustrating hour trying to speak to  a human being without success.

To have some damp work done on my wall I need to remove the broadband cable box (ie the entry point for the broadband cable, which connects to the router) and then reattach it when the work is complete.

How easy is it to do myself and reattach? The damp guys can work round the cable but the box needs to come off while they rip up the skirting board. Or do i need an engineer? Would seem excessive just to unscrew and then to screw back on but there's no way of asking someone to find out...

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Removing and reattaching broadband socket

Are you talking about a fibre ONT or a copper master socket?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Not sure which it is - i had it installed just a couple of weeks ago. It says "Master Socket 5c" and "Openreach MK4" on it if that helps...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

that is adsl master socket which safe to just unscrew from wall and re-attached when work complete

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

ah it's as simple as that? that sounds great.

the bt "online chat" guy said it was an £85 visit from an Openreach engineer (and presumably another visit to reattach) and in any case how could you schedule a visit to coincide with dates from your builder?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Sorry one more question - do you or anyone else know if there are any instructions anywhere about how to unscrew and reattach the socket? Wary of screwing anything up...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Remove front plate, undo 2 screws for secondary plate, remove 2 screws holding back box to wall. To refit reverse process.

Temporarily use test socket with filter until ready to refit.