cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Renovated house FTTP

Hi, I'm moving into a rural property I've been renovating for the past few years. All broadband is supplied by overhead lines I believe. The only issue I seem to be having is all broadband checkers list only 1Mbps - 3Mbps for the exact house whereas every other property in the postcode is quoted as able to get gigabit/900Mbps.

Now I'm wondering, is this due to the renovations and the line being disconnected at some point? I don't believe there's a master socket or anything connecting the broadband in the house. But, there is an overhead line connection for both the power and I assume communications/broadband. Only the communications line is no longer connected to anything past being tied to the wall.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Renovated house FTTP

Use this Checker and post the result. Remove address before posting. Are you sure the others are supplied by Openreach FTTP and not an AltNet?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for replying, I've used the same check previously and the results for my house are as follows - 

Jarches_0-1662400112648.png

Whereas the direct neighbours have this -

Jarches_1-1662400167135.png

Both say they're served by the same cabinet & BT exchange

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Was the property in question always a dwelling ( so a refurbishment of a dwelling that had a proper entry with the Royal Mail /Post Office,) or was it a building that’s been converted into a dwelling , like a barn , cow shed , grain store , that type of thing ?, if it’s the latter , when the area was surveyed it’s only ‘proper’ dwellings that are included, so if you converted something into a dwelling (and presumably have completed a registration with the Royal Mail and local authority for council tax) after the survey had been completed, then it probably won’t appear on Openreach records , if it were always a dwelling, just something that had fell into disrepair, but had ‘service’ in the past , then even if it were a wreck at the time of survey , it would have been included in the survey return.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi, yes always been a dwelling. House was just in disrepair so needed a full renovation. I believe there was a BT mastersocket at some point when we first purchased the property but of course this was removed as there was a full rewire etc. I'd guess that the property hasn't had access to broadband since late 2017/2018.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Also just to check something on this. I'm pretty sure the communications come overhead. Would I be right thinking this is a junction box most likely? This is also the box that connects the neighbour so wondering if it's still possible one line from it is still copper and another is fibre? Or is it only possible that fibre has been linked down alone?

Jarches_0-1662472246316.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The line being disconnected at some point may be a bit of a red herring. I moved into a rural property earlier this year. No phone line present, let alone a BT master socket in the property. Although there was what I think was an old copper line, cut, hanging off nearest pole. Wholesale checker showed FTTP available. I ordered through BT. A couple of weeks later Openreach showed up and hung a fibre cable from the pole and FTTP went live same day.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

multiport.jpg

This it the type of "box" for pole mounted FTTP. Need not be on nearest pole.

0 Ratings