cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Returning to BT Broadband

Go to solution

Hello again. 😉

Long story short, after leaving around 18 months ago I am thinking about returning some of my services to BT over the course of this year. 

First up would be broadband and my question is, if you take the Fibre 1 service is it still the case that you will be provided the fastest stable speed the line can handle? 

Secondly, is it possible to get some sort of intervention if it isn't as fast as it was previously? 

Context:

• I took all services to Sky
  • With Sky, if your guaranteed minimum download speed is sub 40MB, no matter what they put you on a 40/10 profile to save them money
  • My guaranteed minimum download speed is around 30MB and with Sky I was capped at 39MB no matter how much I protested
  • I had the same guaranteed minimum download speed with BT originally but actually received a steady 48MB
  • After 12 months or so of a solid 39,999MB with Sky, speed has dropped to 35MB and they won't even consider a fault because it is still above the guaranteed minimum download speed

So there we have it, as far as broadband goes, for me the grass hasn't been greener. 

What I would like if possible is some reassurance that I have a decent chance of getting close to what I had before with BT if I return?

I understand there are potentially a lot of variables, but literally nothing has changed with my set up internally since I moved away from BT.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Returning to BT Broadband

Go to solution

BT has not changed since you have been with SKY and you will get as good your line can handle but no guarantee it will be the same as it was when your left

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

If you are only getting 35M with Sky, you will only get 35M with BT. Sky's 40M cap is having no effect on your speed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@stereohavenwrote:

First up would be broadband and my question is, if you take the Fibre 1 service is it still the case that you will be provided the fastest stable speed the line can handle?

Fibre 1 comes with a 55/10 SLT (Up to 55 mbps down and 10 up) but if your line only supports 35-40 mbps why not signup for Essential Fibre on the 40/10 SLT ?

@stereohavenwrote:

Secondly, is it possible to get some sort of intervention if it isn't as fast as it was previously?

You'll be given an estimated speed and a stayfast guarantee, if the speeds fall below the stayfast guarantee then BT would arrange Openreach to investigate.

@stereohavenwrote:

What I would like if possible is some reassurance that I have a decent chance of getting close to what I had before with BT if I return?

14 day cooling off period, after that it would be down to the contractual agreement of the estimated and stayfast speeds.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

This is what I am trying balance, my line with Sky right now only provides 35MB, but for the majority of my time with them it has always maxed out at the profile cap.

For 2 years straight with BT before that, I had an extra 8 - 9MB to play with, which doesn't sound a great deal but it was just enough bandwidth to mean we had enough headroom for things to run smoothly in our household. 

Might just have to take a chance and see how it goes, no sign of Full Fibre here in the next 5 years and the only other alternative is Virgin Media who are useless. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings