cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Router Dropping Connection.

Hi,

My router keeps dropping the connection seemingly at random. It can drop after just a few hours, and at other times be OK for a week or so.

This has resulted in my download speed going from 28M to 7M. (My contract guarantee is 20M). Upload was 4M. now 800K. Noise margin 19dB/26dB.

Can a Mod please reset the DLM?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Router Dropping Connection.

have you check your phoneline for noise which may be causing a problem  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone  (this is no good if you have DV)

have you tried changing your rj45 and making sure it is solid connection to master socket especially if a new style master

there is absolutely no point in a reset until you can get a stable connection as without stability you would be back with same problem in less than 7 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Already listened. The line is fairly quiet, the S/N wouldn't be so high otherwise.

Have reseated the cable & rebooted Router several times.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

the phone line should be silent on quiet line test with corded phone and any thing else is a problem and needs reported as phone fault to 151

your noise margin is high due to all the reset whether router dropping connection or manual as DLM sees line as unstable and increases the noise margin to try and stabilise your line leading to reduction in speed

you need to get a stable connection before your speed will improve

have you tried connecting to test socket with filter and see if that helps stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I'm 2+ miles from exchange. Line has never been silent going back 25 years. Noise is a low level hiss.
Master Socket is in the Loft. I'm too old to access it.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

you are not going to improve your connection until the cause of your router dropping connection is found.  if you are not using master socket and are using extension socket with a filter have you tried replacing the filter?

the hiss you describe is a problem for broadband and really needs to be reported and fixed to help broadband improve

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@crest21 wrote:

Already listened. The line is fairly quiet, the S/N wouldn't be so high otherwise.

1. It is SNRm not S/N, totally different things.

2. The S/N refers to noise in the RF frequencies of the broadband signal, not audible noise.

3. SNRm is usually high if there is audible noise as the noise is caused by an impairment of the line which DLM is attempting to overcome by raising the SNRm and thus lowering the speed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Yes, have tried 3 Filters. Hiss is very low level, was the same before the fault when i got 28M.
Can the line be tested to see if that's the problem.
0 Ratings