cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Router plugged in at a different location socket to where FTTP enters the house?

Go to solution

Hi all

I have an engineer visiting today to activate my new FTTP. The FTTP socket enter my house at the front where I have a small study.

MUST the router be installed at this location or can I have it plugged in at a different socket in a different room? 

My current FTTC broadband router is plugged where my living room is and it’s there because I have  host of devices connected by Ethernet cable into it (Sky, PS4, TV, security cameras).

I can’t have my new FTTP router other than in this room because some of the devices are hard wired through the wall and can’t be connected wirelessly

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Router plugged in at a different location socket to where FTTP enters the house?

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by FTTP socket. If you mean the ONT (modem), then no, the router does not have to be co-located. You can connect it by up to 100 metres of Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable 

You can't use phone sockets or cabling.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: Router plugged in at a different location socket to where FTTP enters the house?

Go to solution

We had FTTP installed last September. It involves two separate boxes, one of which has to be plugged in,  as well as the Smart Hub. One of the boxes is Ethernet connected to the SH, so they need to be close, unless you can run an Ethernet cable to where your Smart Hub is currently. Originally I had the SH in my office, where I had a telephone socket. That meant I could Ethernet link my computer and printer directly to SH. Now, I have had to buy Powerline adapters with Ethernet outlets as the Smart Hub is two rooms away and the engineer would not do any internal wiring because of Covid. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

No sorry that’s not what I meant.

simply, can my smart hub 2 router and modem (for FTTP) be plugged into any socket in my house?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

No

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Can you tell me what Ethernet power line adapters you used please?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Running an Ethernet cable would be a far superior solution, but if you must use Powerline adapters, get the fastest possible or they will be a bottleneck to your network.

Have a look at the TPLink range https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks, the I definitely won’t be able to run an Ethernet cable from the entry point to where I need the router, it’s opposite side of the house 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Forget about sockets. Your connection presently is provided via a phone socket. This will not be the case with FTTP. Just discuss with the installer where you want the ONT to be placed. If it is possible they normally will even if it entails running the cable around to the other side of the house.

Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Indeed.

I had assumed from the original post that the ONT had already been fitted.