cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Hi, 

I'm just looking for some advice. We have been advised where I work that we will need to switch to a BT Private line as the analogue is being disconnected from the cabinet which provides our connection. We were told by our supplier that this was our only option, we have now however been advised that SOGEA is available to us & we don't need a Private Line to our premises.

On asking our supplier, they have said SOGEA drops off all of the time & isn't secure.

Could someone please advise if this is actually true, the cost of a Privatel line in excessive per month and we only have two users plus Voip.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: SOGEA

Go to solution

@Dntaylor68 

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Sorry, I didn't realise. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

TBH , I’d be surprised BT are your provider ( business or residential ) given the nonsense you have been given , or you have misunderstood what they have told you , SOGEA doesn’t disconnect you from cabinets , it’s no less reliable than whatever you currently have , and strangely you say you already have VoIP , so presumably if you are migrating toSoGEA , that will remove a PSTN voice service you don’t need , or at least is duplicated by having a VoIP service over your broadband.
You probably should have a better discussion with your provider whoever it is , or get some independent advice

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

The BT Business rely seems pretty decent and honest advice, it remains to be seen who the OP actually uses , and if it were their current supplier, or another supplier trying to win their business  that contacted them , but they certainly seem to have misrepresenting what SoGEA actually is , or the OP has misunderstood what they were told ( probably the first ) if what they have is  a standard PSTN business line with broadband , obviously it will be impacted by the PSTN switch off , but if they already have VoIP , it shouldn’t be particularly disruptive, 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

We thought we were dealing with BT direct, unfortunately it is a reseller using the BT Local Business banner.

We were not told SOGEA was available to us, all we were told was our cabinet was being disconnected from the current analogue so we would need to go on a new system, hence the post. To be told by the reseller thay SOGEA is not suitable due to it not being secure and dropping off all of the time is a little bit naughty in my opinion.

This has nothing to do with BT in my opinion, just the reseller being dishonest for the sake of trying to make more money.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
There does seem to be quite a bit of questionable honesty (by BT as well) in the way telephone and broadband services are sold.
If I was being charitable I'd say it was just ignorance by the agents that you contact about your service, but I fear that these agents are incentivised by commission to be economical with the truth.
0 Ratings