"Fibre with BT Halo 3

A dedicated fibre connection that stays reliably fast, day and night..."

And the speeds are supposed to be...

"Normal available speeds
Your normal available download speed will be between 41-46 Mbps
Your normal available upload speed will be between 6-7 Mbps

Minimum guaranteed download speed
Your minimum guaranteed download speed will be 37 Mbps..."

However, the connection isn't reliable and I have had low speeds on many occasions. What usually happens is that it get fixed and then is fine for a little while before once again dropping to low speeds and TV starts buffering etc...

Reported fault this time and Openreach engineer came yesterday. Text message say he's completed his work and if there is any problem to contact BT. Download speed yesterday slightly above 37MBps. Today... slow again. At present I am getting 15Mbps. As I have experienced before, I can't report it again to BT as it merely directs me to the last fault report and won't let me submit a new one.

In case useful here is data from hub
Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ63063352

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E081

Firmware updated:

22-Feb-2023

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 21 Hours 49 Minutes 40 Seconds

Data rate:

7.60 Mbps / 14.74 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

7602 / 15795

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 4.4 dB

Line attenuation:

57.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

45.1 dB / 56.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow Broadband

If you have a phone and not on digital voice can you. Heck for dial tone and if ok  dial 17070  option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone connected to test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Hi thanks for your reply. I no longer have a phone as I wasn't using it much so only use a mobile now. I know about the quiet line test and for what it's worth have done that in the past (prior to ditching the phone) on each occasion and it was silent. Appreciate something could have changed but it was never the problem in previous occurrences of slow bb.

I wondered if BT had limited me via DLM as the slow speed seemed to have followed having the power off for some electrical work. Could be just coincidence. Any suggestions? 

Thanks, John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

This is nothing to do with the DLM as your attainable is also very low and DLM does not affect attainable speed.  It is more like you have a problem with your line and only 1 of the 2 wires is connected which would cause a slow broadband connection.  Have you tried using the test socket with a filter and see if the speed improves?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 11

Thanks @imjolly will give that a try and come back to you

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Hi @imjolly just connected using a filter on the test socket. No change still circa 13Mbs.

Not sure how it can have been fixed for only a single day before going again. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

What about attainable speed in hub stats?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi @imjolly  is that the max data rate value? I'll paste the lot in case it isn't

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 31 Minutes 56 Seconds

Data rate:

7.27 Mbps / 14.96 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

7274 / 15519

Noise margin:

7 dB / 4.1 dB

Line attenuation:

57.6 dB

Signal attenuation:

45.1 dB / 57.1 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Did you check the rj11 cable connecting hub to master socket is ok?  If ok then you need to report fault to BT again

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thanks @imjolly ,

I'll have to dig out a spare cable to swap it out so need to find it. I'll go look for one now.

However, if it doesn't change anything, can you advise how to report it again? The online route blocks me because my last fault report VOL053-1469151346727 seems to still be open and the "message now" button in contact us does nothing. Calling in the past has been frustrating... Should I try texting the engineer even though it said to go to service provider with any further probs?

0 Ratings