cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Smart Hub 2 - change gateway IP

Hi,  trying to change the Gateway IP from 192.168.1.254  (under Hub Gateway IP address) to 192.168.2.254

But each time I change and then save, the screen goes blank and address url changes to 192.168.2.254 but does not access control panel.  using 192.168.1.254 shows the panel, so the change to IP did not save.

Has anyone found this to be a problem?

or

Has anyone changed this and saved ok ?

Trying to follow this posts steps:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-with-different-Router/m-p/222...

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Smart Hub 2 - change gateway IP

Bear in mind that after changing the gateway on the hub you will need to reboot the PC to obtain a new IP address to match. Not sure how you're then connecting to the original address unless your browser is just loading a cached version of the page?

The step is only necessary if the second router uses the same gateway address. You haven't said if that's the case. If it is then it would probably be better to just change the Hub address to one outside the DHCP range of the other router.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I have my Asus router still as the main router, but uses gateway 192.168.1.253

have the BT Smart Hub 2 connected to the Asus and then can access via 192.168.1.254

The issue is the Smart Hub 2 not saving a change to the Hub Gateway IP from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254, and I know this because the original always still works.

My guess is BT have locked the Hub Gateway IP to 192.168.1.254, but can't understand if that is the case, why it allows you to go through the motions of changing and saving.

Correct me if wrong, but even without the Asus, if I changed the Hub Gateway IP of the Smart Hub 2, it should save and be accessible to the new IP  (control panel).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

If that's not a typo & your Asus really is on 253, then you have no need to change the Hub away from 254. Just make sure that the Asus' DHCP range doesn't include 254 to avoid any future conflict.

As I said, if you change the Hub to a different range you will have to reboot the PC to access it & will then not be able to access the rest of the network. If you've also disabled DHCP on the Hub then you will have to set an IP address on the PC manually to access it. Then change it back to access the rest of the network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Hi, nope no typo,

But my end goal is to have the BT Router only used for Digital Voice and the Asus Router doing everything it does now.
Hence trying to follow the guidance in the link in first post!

Are you saying if I just leave the BT Router on 1.254 and the Asus on 1.253
Make sure the Asus IP pool ends at 1.252

This will work?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I can't see why it wouldn't but easy enough to try.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

You *can* change the gateway IP to a different subnet, you just need to do it in 2 stages.

First change the IP, have DHCP enabled, and set a custom DHCP range to the same subnet as the new gateway IP. Save your settings.

Then disable DHCP and save settings again. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

You are replying to a year old post

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Oops, completely misread the date field! Still, someone else might (like I did) come across this thread when trying to change their gateway IP, and may need to change the subnet, so a solution might be useful 🙂