cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Smart Hub 2 does not synch but Smart Hub does?

Hi Folks

Couple of days ago my broadband stopped working (red light on Smart Hub 2). Phoned BT and they sent me a replacement Smart Hub 2. Whilst waiting for it to arrive I tried my previous Smart Hub (also called Home Hub 6) and it synched and worked fine.

New Smart Hub 2 arrived, plugged in and no synch, just like the original faulty one.

Swapped back to HH6 and works fine. Confused as to why this would be. Any ideas?

A month ago I swapped from Fibre 100 to Fibre 2, could this make any difference? The SH2 has been working fine since the service swapped over until a couple of days ago.

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Smart Hub 2 does not synch but Smart Hub does?

Presumably you were on Gfast if the SH works?

My first suspicion would be a software update has broken something in the SH2 & the replacement came with the same software. Would be worth a check of the logs for the original SH2 to see if an update occurred at the same time it failed.

Might be worth checking that FTTP mode hasn't been activated by default. Although I've no idea if that simply enables LAN port four for WAN rather than disabling the vDSL port. Or at least telling the SH2 to expect a connection on the WAN port which it's not seeing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for your response.

I have looked at the log on the original SH2 that went faulty but I suspect the log has been cleared when the BT helpdesk asked me to do a Factory Reset on the router as all entries are dated 1st Oct which I guess is the default date when the router is unable to get the correct date off the network.

Also checked FTTP hasn't been activated and it hasn't.

Still a mystery.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

When you changed the "faulty" Smarthub 2 with the "new" Smarthub 2 did you also change the power cable/adaptor?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Isn't Fibre 2 full fibre (FTTP) ?

If so then the FTTP soft switch should be enabled

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

No, Full Fibre 2 is FTTP

I rather suspect the op knows whether to connect the DSL port to a copper socket or WAN port to an ONT in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

@licquoricewrote:

No, Full Fibre 2 is FTTP  Typo?

I rather suspect the op knows whether to connect the DSL port to a copper socket or WAN port to an ONT in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

@Les-Gibson  No typo.

Fibre 2 is FTTC.

Full Fibre 2 is FTTP.

Message 9 of 15

@pippincpwrote:

@Les-Gibson  No typo.

Fibre 2 is FTTC.

Full Fibre 2 is FTTP.

It's the same promotional name no matter how it's delivered, there's no Full Fibre 2, it's simply Fibre 2 which can be FTTP or FTTC.
Your options are :

Essential (Inc Home Essential) - FTTC or FTTP
Fibre 1 - FTTC or FTTP
Fibre 2 - FTTC or FTTP
F100 - Gfast or FTTP
F330 - Gfast Legacy package and no longer sold*
FF500 - FTTP only
FF900 - FTTP only

There are loads of other legacy packages from early FTTP days and when Gfast was going to be a thing, it depends on the SLT when they were estimates and then renamed to match the stay fast guarantee, too many to list.

Message 10 of 15

To try and clarify my problem:

I have tried again with the power adapter that came with the replacement SH2 and it is still not synching.

I was on Gfast Fibre100 FTTC about a month ago and I've gone back to Fibre2 FTTC to save a few pennies. The SH2 has worked on both services for a few weeks before loss of service a couple of days ago.

When I access the hub interface it says network not detected.

Swap back to the SH and it synchs ok.

I can only think that BT have sent me a fault SH2 replacement.

Any other thoughts?

Regards.

0 Ratings