Hi all, I just upgraded to FTTP.
I had a smart HUB 2 so I used that for the upgrade. When the installer arrived he mentioned new FTTP installs usually come with a new "round" router but we used the Smart Hub 2 anyway.
1) I presume by "round HUB " he meant the new Smart Hub 3 ?
2) Can any installers, recent FFTP Customers confirm that new FTTP installs use a Smart Hub 3 ?
3) Either way, can anyone please confirm that the new/expected Smart hub 3 is able to separate the 2.4/5 Wifi SSID's ? as I have a fairly new Dell laptop and it drops off WIFI unless it has separate SSIDs as per the Home Hub 5 that I have been using previously for ADSL with no drop-offs.
4) I got WiFi drop-offs with the Smart Hub 2 on ADSL so this is not a Fibre issue.
5) If i cant fix the SSID issue I will have to use the Home HUB 5 and keep my copper landline which I don't want to as I get frying bacon syndrome when it rains badly and BT repair is not set up to fix this problem as it is intermittent.
There is no SH3. The SH2 the the current router to be used with FTTP. The hub 5 will not work with FTTP unless it has a WAN port on back
Any device that has wireless problems with 2.4ghz then disable 5ghzin hub then connect your device to 2.4ghz and once connected re-enable the 5ghz network
Thank you imjolly
Yes, my Home Hub 5 does have 4Lan + WAN port and it does work with FTTP , I get 510Mbs with the BT 500 trial.
If I can disable the 2.4g or 5g permanently on the Smart Hub 2 then that may work as I do want to convert to Digital phone which needs the Smart Hub2.
I may have to permanently disable 2.4g as presumably I would have the drop off problems on my laptop upon reboot.The laptop is not too far from the router so that helps.
I will try the disable feature and report back in a few days
Thanks Neil0, my curiosity about a Smart Hub 3 comes from a search on the net, here is a piece from the Daily Express , Jan 2020, it has some very specific details...
Thanks imjolly and all.
I got a new Smart Hub 2
I was getting 30-40 meg wifi on the Home hub 5 with ADSL fibre 2 (65Mbs)
Upon plugging the Smart Hub 2 in, FTTP 500meg , I was getting 90 meg WiFi on a phone. Smart Hub 2 only has 1 Wifi SSID but it does have disable 2.4 and/or 5g buttons.
I Disabled 2.4g and I now get 250-400 Mbs on Wifi so 5g it is.
My router is in the middle of the house on a shelf very close to the ceiling, I get 200-340 Mbs upstairs.
Digital phones work a dream, no more frying bacon noise.
I was told multiple digital phones will act as an overline incoming and multi line outgoing for free, that's really cool.
Haven't tried my laptop on WiFi yet, presumably that won't drop off either now.