cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 83

SmartHub despatch time

Does anyone know how close to activation date is the SmartHub received? My delivery date (today) has now passed.  Royal Mail tracking says ‘Sender despatching item’ since Monday.  Service activation is Friday and it’s a 48 hour delivery service. Getting a bit twitchy now with Sky ending Friday and BT starting Friday that I won’t have a hub in time for work from home all day Friday.  Anyone care to reassure me it’s going to be okay?

0 Ratings
82 REPLIES 82
Message 2 of 83

Re: SmartHub despatch time

From other posts it often arrives the day before activation

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 83

Thanks for taking the time reply. Hopefully Royal Mail will receive it from BT and deliver tomorrow, or at the very latest Friday. I probably should have searched other posts first but it was sent in haste as my wife is freaking out about not being able to work from home.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 83

Hi @stitch666   Royal Mail strike days?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 83

RM are on strike today & tomorrow so you won't receive it before Friday at the earliest. That's assuming it's actually been sent. Might be an idea to see if you can pick a used one up locally as insurance.

What service have you signed up to & is Digital Voice involved?

Edit: I suppose depending where it is in the system there's a slim chance it could be delivered by a non-striking postie.

Message 6 of 83

Oh yes. Although interestingly the post man did come today and delivered to us. According to my tracking it’s not even been picked up yet though. Think you’re right I’m not going to get it by Friday so going to have to find an alternative work wise. We live in a mobile black spot so no chance of a hot spot. It’s broadband only no voice.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 83

Does anyone know if I push back my activation date , does that also prevent Sky from switching off my current service?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 83

If not Full Fibre then either an original Smart Hub or SH2 would do the job. Even a Home Hub 5 would get you going, as would any other non-ISP specific router with a VDSL modem built in. Sadly ISP provided routers like your Sky one can rarely be used on other networks.

I'd be surprised if you can reschedule this late in the day & the risks of Sky being cut off anyway are too great in my opinion.

Message 9 of 83

Thanks for the reply. It’s fibre 500. I have had a look on FB market place, gum tree and eBay and no one is selling a SH2. I might see what other VDSL modems are available as don’t need full speeds, just enough to video conference.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 83

For Full Fibre you need a "cable" router with a WAN port, not VDSL.