cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Speed Test Result

I notice my broadband speed is slow while I did the speed test. This symptom has been lasting for a period of time. When I complaint to BT, they reset my broadband. The speed will boost faster & up to the guarantee level but then it will fall back to the performance like the speed test result captured below. My plan was guaranteed to have 100M download & 30M upload.  Anyone has the similar experience before? Thanks

BT Speed Test 6Dec2022.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Speed Test Result

what results do you get using   fast.com

bear in mind speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds to your hub not your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi, I was using speedtest.net for the testing. I understand BT guarantee the speed from the hub to my home. However the speed shouldn't down from 150M (guarantee 100M) to around 40M as there was not other family members at home. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Speed tests must be done using a computer connected to the home hub using a direct Ethernet cable. Wireless connections are affected by external interference.

See https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi Keith, 

Thanks for your advice. My notebook is considerably new with Intel i-7 CPU & it has no plug for direct Ethernet cable connection. I can only use Wifi for connection. With your provided test site, here is the result 46M download.

Again I am home alone & without other devices are using the wifi, the speed is very slow when comparing to the guarantee speed 100M.

BTWholesale.com test 6Dec2022.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

There is not much you can do apart from adding an Ethernet to USB adapter, and connecting the Ethernet port directly to the home hub.

For a single device, 46mbs is more than enough unless you are passing large files to other devices on your home network.

You could try changing the wireless channel to see if there is one which is less congested. Also making sure its the 5GHz wireless band that your notebook is connected to.