cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 1

Strange IPv4 problems after Full Fibre Upgrade

I recently had a full fibre upgrade.   Initially everything seemed to work fine but on restarting my PCs I got a very strange network behaviour.   I could do google searches and see the results but on trying to connect to a web page it would fail with can't reach this page.  This was on all browsers and both my desktop and laptop.   Restarting the hub and would solve the problem.  However, restarting the PC or laptop would bring the problem back.   I was also no longer able to connect to the hub by typing the physical address 192.168.1.254.  This was even more strange as my PC is physically connected to the hub.

I dropped into the command window and tried pinging addresses.  After a hub restart I could ping everything.   bbc.co.uk, www.hl.co.uk, bt.com, www.bbc.com and of course 192.168.1.254.  However, when I restart the PC or laptop I could only ping things that return an IPv6 address not anything that returns an IPv4 address (bbc.co.uk but not www.hl.co.uk etc which return a could not find host) even stranger pinging 192.168.1.254 produces a fail to transmit error.   Once again restarting the hub clears the problem and everything works again.

An added data point is that if I point my wireless laptop at my BT wifi extender then everything works fine for the laptop.   Point it back at the hub and it stops working again.  The hub has been replaced and exhibits the same behaviour.   I am at a loss what to try next?

0 Ratings