cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Switch from sky fttp to bt fttp

Go to solution

Morning all,

I am currently on sky ultrafast service and my contract is nearly up so am considering switching to bt fttp. When my sky fttp was installed there was an issue getting the sky hub to work with the ont which the openreach engineer stated was owing to the sky hub not working/being compatible with Huawei ont. He returned the following day with a Nokia ont and system was up and running in minutes. My question is if I switched to bt fttp, would the bt hub work with my existing nokia ont or will the ont have to be replaced with the Huawei? 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Switch from sky fttp to bt fttp

Go to solution

I suspect the problem was that the FTTP headend (OLT) was Nokia rather than Huawei and thus it was the ONT - OLT  link that was the problem rather than ONT -  Sky router. The ONT has to be compatible with the OLT,  but it is just plain Ethernet from ONT to router hence there are no compatibility issues between them.

The BT hub will work with whatever ONT is fitted.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Ah! I see. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Once the Openreach ONT is up and running, then you should be able to go with any Openreach based FTTP provider that serves the address. So yes, you can change from Sky to any other Openreach provider including BT if the property shows up on the online web checker. 

0 Ratings